Keothavong stuns Schiavone to progress in the US Open
CUMBERLAND S Anne Keothavong became the first British woman since Jo Durie in 1991 to reach the third round of the US Open when she stunned 25th seed Francesca Schiavone in three sets on Wednesday, writes Patrick Mooney. Keothavong, 24, broke the Italian
CUMBERLAND'S Anne Keothavong became the first British woman since Jo Durie in 1991 to reach the third round of the US Open when she stunned 25th seed Francesca Schiavone in three sets on Wednesday, writes Patrick Mooney.
Keothavong, 24, broke the Italian in the first game and went on to win the first set 6-2 before Schiavone improved to take the second 3-6.
Schiavone moved 4-2 up in the decider but Keothavong responded superbly with four straight games to seal the win of her life 6-4.
Keothavong, ranked 87 in the world, next plays fifth seed Elena Dementieva for a place in the last 16.
"Before the match I really believed I had a chance to win," said Keothavong, who had reached the second round with victory over American qualifier Alexa Glatch on Monday.
"I knew if I could hang in there and just get stuck in then I'd be in with a chance. I came away with the win so I'm pretty pleased with that."
- 1 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 2 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 3 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 4 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 5 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 6 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
- 7 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
- 8 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 9 Grease: 'High energy fun but I'm not hopelessly devoted'
- 10 The Burnt City: stunning but elusive take on Trojan War
If Keothavong is to equal Durie's feat, Keothavong will have to overcome Olympic champion Dementieva, who beat France's Pauline Parmentier 6-2, 6-1 in her second-round