Keothavong stuns Schiavone to progress in the US Open
CUMBERLAND S Anne Keothavong became the first British woman since Jo Durie in 1991 to reach the third round of the US Open when she stunned 25th seed Francesca Schiavone in three sets on Wednesday, writes Patrick Mooney. Keothavong, 24, broke the Italian
CUMBERLAND'S Anne Keothavong became the first British woman since Jo Durie in 1991 to reach the third round of the US Open when she stunned 25th seed Francesca Schiavone in three sets on Wednesday, writes Patrick Mooney.
Keothavong, 24, broke the Italian in the first game and went on to win the first set 6-2 before Schiavone improved to take the second 3-6.
Schiavone moved 4-2 up in the decider but Keothavong responded superbly with four straight games to seal the win of her life 6-4.
Keothavong, ranked 87 in the world, next plays fifth seed Elena Dementieva for a place in the last 16.
You may also want to watch:
"Before the match I really believed I had a chance to win," said Keothavong, who had reached the second round with victory over American qualifier Alexa Glatch on Monday.
"I knew if I could hang in there and just get stuck in then I'd be in with a chance. I came away with the win so I'm pretty pleased with that."
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 3 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 4 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 5 Arsenal signing Simone Boye Sorensen says she needed a 'new start'
- 6 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 7 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
- 8 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 9 Thunder and lightning could return to London on Monday
- 10 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
If Keothavong is to equal Durie's feat, Keothavong will have to overcome Olympic champion Dementieva, who beat France's Pauline Parmentier 6-2, 6-1 in her second-round