Joyce to captain MCC in traditional Lord's curtain raiser
Middlesex batsman Ed Joyce will captain the MCC side to play county champions Sussex at Lord s in the traditional curtain-raiser to the new season, writes Patrick Mooney. A 12-man MCC squad has been announced for the four-day match, which will begin next
Middlesex batsman Ed Joyce will captain the MCC side to play county champions Sussex at Lord's in the traditional curtain-raiser to the new season, writes Patrick Mooney.
A 12-man MCC squad has been announced for the four-day match, which will begin next Thursday. Joyce (pictured) will be joined by county team-mates Owais Shah, Alan Richardson and Steven Finn.
"It's an honour to be asked to captain the MCC team, and it's a match I'm greatly looking forward to," said Dubliner Joyce.
Also chosen are Essex pair Ravi Bopara and James Foster, as well as promising Yorkshire leg-spinner Adil Rashid.
You may also want to watch:
Shah, Bopara and Foster are the only players with Test experience, while Joyce has played one-day internationals.
Spinner James Tredwell and seamer Graham Onions have been in England one-day squads without playing a match, while several other players have also been involved in the England Lions side over the winter.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 3 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 4 Baked to perfection: Dunns rakes in prizes at World Bread Awards
- 5 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
- 6 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 7 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 8 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 9 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 10 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
For the fourth successive year, there is an MCC Universities cricketer - Loughborough UCCE batsman Arun Harinath, who is on Surrey's books - taking part.
However, there is no place for England all-rounder Andrew Flintoff, who had been rumoured to be lining up for the game as part as his recovery from injury.