Joshua fight at Tottenham ‘could be put back’
- Credit: PA
Promoter Eddie Hearn admitted Anthony Joshua’s next world heavyweight title defence could be pushed back a month to July.
Joshua is scheduled to face Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on June 20, but that date could now be required by the club for a potential extension of the Premier League campaign.
Hearn, whose Matchroom organisation this week confirmed the postponement of all boxing events in March and April, once again dismissed the prospect of any of his major bouts being staged behind closed doors.
Referring to the June 20 date, Hearn told Sky Sports News: “At the moment it’s still in place.
“Obviously with the news of the Euros being cancelled (Euro 2020 has been postponed until next year) and the possible extension of the Premier League season, Spurs may need that stadium in June.
You may also want to watch:
“We do have an option to run that fight in July as well at the same stadium. Everything now is really a case-by-case situation and a day-by-day situation of trying to think on your feet.
“June 20 is a long time away, it’s still in our plans and we have been speaking to Tottenham to make sure we’re all on the same page and that we know we have the same strategy moving forward.”
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 7 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 8 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 9 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 10 Myanmar ambassador pleads for help from Hampstead doorstep
Prior to Joshua’s bout with Pulev, Dillian Whyte is scheduled to meet Alexander Povetkin on May 2 and Dereck Chisora is set to face Oleksandr Usyk on May 23 – both bouts which Hearn says are “subject to change”.
The London show featuring Josh Kelly’s European title clash with David Avanesyan has been cancelled and all bouts will be subsumed into other future cards.
The April 4 Newcastle show, featuring Lewis Ritson versus Miguel Vazquez as well as a world title shot for Savannah Marshall, has been re-arranged for June 27, and the April 24 Doncaster bout between Terri Harper and Natasha Jonas will also take place in June on a date yet to be confirmed.
Queensberry Promotions announced the heavyweight bout between Daniel Dubois and Joe Joyce, scheduled for the O2 Arena on April 11 has now been moved back to July 11.
Josh Taylor’s world title fight scheduled for May 2 in Glasgow has been postponed, with a new date yet to be announced.