Ofori through to semi-finals of golden contract tournament
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Tottenham’s Jeff Ofori has made it through to the semi-final of the MTK Global Golden Contract super-lightweight tournament.
Ofori was told just a day before the event, which was held at York Hall in Bethnal Green, that there was a vacant place in the quarter-final.
He was last in the ring a week ago at the Liverpool Olympia when he caused an upset by outpointing the unbeaten Ged Carroll and has won ten of his 11 professional fights.
Ofori was matched against Kieran Gething who had a height and reach advantage over him.
The Tottenham boxer was able to get under the long jabs of his opponent. with the judges scoring it as 96-95 to Gething, 96-94 to Ofori and the third gave it as a 95-95 draw.
You may also want to watch:
It meant the decision was forced to go to referee Kieran McCann, who had Ofori as the winner.
The other three boxers in the semi-finals are Ohara Davies, Tyrone McKenna and Mohammed Mimoune.
- 1 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Arteta 'very disappointed' by Arsenal exit
- 4 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 5 In pictures: The Parkland Walk in lockdown
- 6 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 7 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 8 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 9 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 10 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge