Ofori through to semi-finals of golden contract tournament
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Tottenham’s Jeff Ofori has made it through to the semi-final of the MTK Global Golden Contract super-lightweight tournament.
Ofori was told just a day before the event, which was held at York Hall in Bethnal Green, that there was a vacant place in the quarter-final.
He was last in the ring a week ago at the Liverpool Olympia when he caused an upset by outpointing the unbeaten Ged Carroll and has won ten of his 11 professional fights.
Ofori was matched against Kieran Gething who had a height and reach advantage over him.
The Tottenham boxer was able to get under the long jabs of his opponent. with the judges scoring it as 96-95 to Gething, 96-94 to Ofori and the third gave it as a 95-95 draw.
You may also want to watch:
It meant the decision was forced to go to referee Kieran McCann, who had Ofori as the winner.
The other three boxers in the semi-finals are Ohara Davies, Tyrone McKenna and Mohammed Mimoune.
- 1 'Real disappointment' over uptake of Covid vaccine among care home staff
- 2 Leila Roy tributes: 'We will miss her energy and her big heart'
- 3 Camden disabled resident on fears over Haverstock Hill cycle lanes
- 4 Two teenagers stabbed in Kilburn and South Hampstead in separate attacks
- 5 O2 Centre redevelopment consultation opened by Camden Council
- 6 Thanks, traffic, Women's Day, U3A, Haverstock Hill and Covid
- 7 Joe Montemurro full of praise for Jordan Nobbs following Arsenal's win over Aston Villa
- 8 Thames Water under fire for Highgate tree felling
- 9 'Dumped and forgotten': Homeless families on life in England's Lane hostel
- 10 Remembering 'positive, caring and kind' Hornsey pupil Amy