Ofori through to semi-finals of golden contract tournament
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Tottenham’s Jeff Ofori has made it through to the semi-final of the MTK Global Golden Contract super-lightweight tournament.
Ofori was told just a day before the event, which was held at York Hall in Bethnal Green, that there was a vacant place in the quarter-final.
He was last in the ring a week ago at the Liverpool Olympia when he caused an upset by outpointing the unbeaten Ged Carroll and has won ten of his 11 professional fights.
Ofori was matched against Kieran Gething who had a height and reach advantage over him.
The Tottenham boxer was able to get under the long jabs of his opponent. with the judges scoring it as 96-95 to Gething, 96-94 to Ofori and the third gave it as a 95-95 draw.
You may also want to watch:
It meant the decision was forced to go to referee Kieran McCann, who had Ofori as the winner.
The other three boxers in the semi-finals are Ohara Davies, Tyrone McKenna and Mohammed Mimoune.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 4 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 5 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 6 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
- 7 E-scooter rider arrested over suspected drug dealing
- 8 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 9 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 10 'Cycling is the future – and we must pay instructors fairly'