Willstrop clinches London Open Squash Championships title for second year running
- Credit: Archant
James Willstrop won the London Open Squash Championships title for the second year running on Sunday.
Despite losing the first game 11-8, he fought back to beat Patrick Rooney 3-1 thanks to scores of 11-6, 11-7 and 11-6 in a match which lasted just over an hour.
In the women's final, the USA's Sabrina Sobhy beat England's Jasmine Hutton 3-0 with scores of 11-4, 11-5 and 11-2, with the match lasting 35 minutes.
Organiser Zubair Khan hailed the event as a great success.
He said: "It's been great week with some great matches.
"Sunday was a nice day with a fully booked crowd to enjoy the matches."
The tournament was hosted at Cumberland Lawn Tennis Club with prize money of $24,000 being handed to the winners.
- 1 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 2 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 3 Free beach returns to Finchley Road for the summer
- 4 Camden councillors set to give themselves a pay rise
- 5 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
- 6 Heath patrols to increase after fisherman robbed at knifepoint
- 7 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 8 Crouch End Festival: 'Back with a bang bigger than ever'
- 9 'Gabriels stun Koko – superstardom seems inevitable'
- 10 Opening date confirmed for new Finchley Road Aldi
Former world number one Willstrop was top seed for this year's tournament and duly delivered.