Rugby: Itoje impressed by England improvement
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
After going so close to claiming the prized scalp of world champions New Zealand, Saracens’ star Maro Itoje says England are looking forward to facing Japan at Twickenham next weekend, writes Ziad Chaudry.
The hosts were denied a match-winning try by flanker Sam Underhill four minutes from time as it was controversially ruled out after television replays showed that Courtney Lawes was judged to be narrowly offside.
Tries from Chris Ashton and co-captain Dylan Hartley saw England storm into a stunning 15-0 lead after 25 minutes before the mighty All Blacks rallied together and claimed a dramatic 16-15 victory at a rain drenched Twickenham.
But despite defeat, 24-year-old Camden-born Itoje believes England, who also had fellow Sarries Owen Farrell, Jamie George and George Kruis in the line-up, are moving in the right direction.
“I think we are moving towards the right direction,” he said. “Despite the loss we probably still improved our performance from the South Africa game last week.
You may also want to watch:
“Even off the pitch we are growing tighter and tighter together. We spent two and a half weeks together while the All Blacks had three months together so I think we are moving towards the right direction.
“All we’re focused on now is Japan and it’s a challenge were really looking forward to.”
- 1 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 2 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 3 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 4 Kentish Town café fundraises to keep community spirit alive
- 5 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 6 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close
- 7 Hampstead families aim to raise £50,000 to feed Royal Free medics
- 8 Rebuilt Carlton Tavern will be 'heart of the community' say hopeful landlords
- 9 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
- 10 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
England continue their Quilter Autumn Internationals campaign against 2019 Rugby World Cup hosts Japan this Saturday at Twickenham.
Tickets are available at eticketing.co.uk/rfu/Events/Index or you can catch all the action on Sky Sports Action and Sky Sports Main Event from 2pm.