It’s another successful weekend as Hendon win two trophies
- Credit: Archant
Hendon’s successful end to the season continued at the weekend as they secured two trophies.
With the first XV still enjoying the afterglow of their promotion, the second team retained the Merit Cup in the Herts/Middlesex third league on Saturday – and, the following day, the Dons won the Plate competition at their own sevens tournament.
Hendon’s reserves travelled to Harpenden Rugby Club to face Hampstead in Saturday’s cup final.
They fell behind twice in the first half, but a try from captain Terry Gilbride – converted by scrum-half Ritchie Tyrell – and another score from Sean Carlton levelled things up at 12-12, and Tyrell then took a quick tap penalty and dived over the line to give his side a 17-12 lead at the break.
Hendon had the slope and the wind in their favour in the second period and Gilbride’s second converted try extended their lead.
You may also want to watch:
Hampstead got over the whitewash themselves but Kevin Kanda crashed through the defence to touch down at the other end and Robert Nunez then broke out of defence to score the Dons’ fifth try and wrap up a 34-17 victory.
On Sunday, the club held their 62nd annual Hendon 7s tournament – and the host team finished second in their pool to reach the Plate final.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 3 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 4 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 6 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 7 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 8 'The council thought asking your view is unnecessary'
- 9 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 10 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
The Dons faced Haringey Rhinos, and tries from Chris Kayingi, Adam Johnson and John McCarthy secured a 33-19 triumph.
This Sunday Hendon will be competing in the famous Middlesex Club 7s competition at Richmond.