It’s another successful weekend as Hendon win two trophies
- Credit: Archant
Hendon’s successful end to the season continued at the weekend as they secured two trophies.
With the first XV still enjoying the afterglow of their promotion, the second team retained the Merit Cup in the Herts/Middlesex third league on Saturday – and, the following day, the Dons won the Plate competition at their own sevens tournament.
Hendon’s reserves travelled to Harpenden Rugby Club to face Hampstead in Saturday’s cup final.
They fell behind twice in the first half, but a try from captain Terry Gilbride – converted by scrum-half Ritchie Tyrell – and another score from Sean Carlton levelled things up at 12-12, and Tyrell then took a quick tap penalty and dived over the line to give his side a 17-12 lead at the break.
Hendon had the slope and the wind in their favour in the second period and Gilbride’s second converted try extended their lead.
Hampstead got over the whitewash themselves but Kevin Kanda crashed through the defence to touch down at the other end and Robert Nunez then broke out of defence to score the Dons’ fifth try and wrap up a 34-17 victory.
On Sunday, the club held their 62nd annual Hendon 7s tournament – and the host team finished second in their pool to reach the Plate final.
- 1 Man in his 30s stabbed to death
- 2 Hampstead pharmacy under investigation over extra charges for prescriptions
- 3 'Lianne La Havas gets big love from Koko crowd'
- 4 Motorcyclist injured in Highgate Hill collision
- 5 Single evokes lockdown 'fairytale' camp on Hampstead Heath
- 6 West Hampstead woman's kids' clothes success story
- 7 Spurs survive 'Lasagna-gate 2' and it's over to Arsenal
- 8 'The law isn't important to us': Car tyres deflated by activists in Camden
- 9 Beloved father choked to death on cauliflower after Highgate Care Home 'neglect'
- 10 Tributes paid to Belsize 'man of many talents' who co-founded Abacus school
The Dons faced Haringey Rhinos, and tries from Chris Kayingi, Adam Johnson and John McCarthy secured a 33-19 triumph.
This Sunday Hendon will be competing in the famous Middlesex Club 7s competition at Richmond.