Isthmian Premier: Wingate & Finchley defeat Hanwell Town in charity match for Billy Healey
- Credit: Archant
Keith Rowland’s team will aim to earn more success this evening away to Isthmian North outfit Cheshunt
Wingate & Finchley kept up their good pre-season form with another win on Saturday and raised some money for a former player in the process.
Keith Rowland’s team earned a 1-0 victory at Hanwell Town on a memorable day for both clubs.
The match was arranged for forward Billy Healey after he suffered a serious injury earlier this year while on loan at Town from Wingate.
Healey received a guard of honour before the fixture and all proceeds on the day went to the popular striker.
You may also want to watch:
It was Wingate who started brightly with Ben Pattie and Rob Laney both going close in the opening stages.
Afolabi Obafemi arguably should have done better midway through the half when he rounded Hanwell goalkeeper Xavi Leon Comas, but couldn’t find the net.
- 1 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 2 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 3 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 4 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 5 'As a welcoming, tolerant and caring community, we have all lost'
- 6 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 7 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 9 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 10 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
The hosts hit back though, with Harvey Killeen smashing an effort against the post before the only goal of the game was scored.
Obafemi was denied by Comas, yet Reece Beckles-Richards was on hand to fire in from a tight angle.
Despite both teams creating more chances, it remained 1-0 to Wingate to hand Rowland’s side another victory.
Next up for the north London outfit is a trip to Cheshunt this evening for a 7.45pm kick-off.