Isthmian Premier: Wingate & Finchley announce flurry of signings ahead of new season
- Credit: Archant
Keith Rowland’s team defeated Royston Town 3-2 on Saturday and announced addition of several players the next day
Wingate & Finchley chairman Aron Sharpe is delighted to secure the signings of Nathan Mavila, Jake Eales and Luke Sheldrick.
The Isthmian Premier club announced the trio of additions at the weekend after they all impressed against Royston Town.
Keith Rowland’s team defeated the Southern League Premier Division side 3-2 before confirming the signing of the three players.
““I have been watching the movement of all of the above who have all been trialling at Conference (National League) clubs,” Sharpe told the official club website.
“In fact each player has played against the club, and both Keith and I took note and have quietly gone about our business.
“Nathan came to my attention on his release from West Ham United, but we initially failed to secure him and he went to Wealdstone and has featured in Hampton & Richmond’s pre-season.
- 1 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 2 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 3 Highgate pub gets the go-ahead to reopen
- 4 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 5 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 6 'Ruining our vibe': Muswell Hill coffee shop divides community opinion
- 7 Discover north London’s ‘lost’ synagogue
- 8 Covid patient numbers levelling out after Christmas rise, data suggests
- 9 Murphy's Yard 825-home tower block development to be 'car free'
- 10 Could Adama Traore be on his way to Tottenham?
“Jake and Luke both played against us for Woking, however I had already noted Jake at a showcase game and was keen to secure him. All are youngsters who we consider will have a good future and we welcome them to the club.”
Eales signed for Wingate after a previous spell with Queens Park Rangers, while Sheldrick was at Tottenham Hotspur before.
The Blues three new additions all played the whole match against Royston at the Maurice Rebak Stadium.
Reece Beckles-Richards opening the scoring after 20 minutes, but it was immediately cancelled out by Adam Marriott’s superb strike less than 60 seconds later.
The next goal didn’t occur until just past the hour mark when Sam Ives volleyed into the corner with 65 minutes player.
It seemed like that would be the winner until Ben Pattie dribbled past an opponent and lobbed in from range with six minutes left.
And almost straight after the restart Wingate grabbed a dramatic third, as Pattie raced clear and squared for Afolabi Obafemi to fire home.
It handed the Blues a triumphant end to pre-season ahead of the start of the new Isthmian Premier campaign on Saturday when they travel to Merstham.
Wingate have also signed Joe Kizzi (Cheshunt), Wes Parker (Wealdstone), Carl Pearce (Wembley) and Marc Charles-Smith (Harrow Borough).