International London Open squash tournament returns to Cumberland
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
The world’s best squash players will square up in Hampstead next week as Cumberland Lawn Tennis Club hosts the annual international London Open.
With $15,000 (£9,861) in prize money up for grabs competition promises to be high.
Play begins with the qualifiers on Tuesday and Wednesday as the men and women fight for their places in the first round on Thursday.
The quarter-finals take place on Friday, the semi-finals on Saturday and the final on Sunday.
There is plenty of home nation interest, with 14 of the 28 male competitors from England – including second seed Ben Coleman and third seed Richie Fallows – and 10 English players in the women’s side of the draw.
You may also want to watch:
English Squash has also chosen four ‘local’ players – emerging homegrown stars Charlie Lee, Steven London, Matthew Broadberry and Bradley Masters – who will take their places in the qualifiers.
The tournament is organised each year by Zubair Khan, a former professional player who was world No 8 in 1996.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 3 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 6 'The council thought asking your view is unnecessary'
- 7 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
- 8 'Time for the government to face up to the climate emergency'
- 9 'No one should be aiming to breathe air that is only just legal'
- 10 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
Entry for the qualifiers is free, while spectators can watch the first round for £12, the quarter-finals for £16, the semis for £20 and the final for £24.
Sponsors for this year’s event are Aspect Capital, Hellman & Friedman LLC, Heathcote and Lvory and Wolfe Property.
Call 0207 435 6022 for tickets and more information.