Impressive Hampstead make it three consecutive victories with another stroll in park

Hampstead women's second-team (gold) in action against their Stockwood Park (pic: Hampstead RFC).

Hampstead women's second-team (gold) in action against their Stockwood Park (pic: Hampstead RFC). - Credit: Archant

Local club had to make do without the injured Victoria Bibby, but still claimed more success

Hampstead women’s second-team made it three wins on the trot as they notched up an impressive 67-5 victory away at Stockwood Park last weekend.

The scoreline was even more remarkable considering they went down to 14 players in the second minute.

Number eight Victoria Bibby had to leave the field due to a shoulder injury sustained as she crashed through the home defence to groun the first of Hampstead’s tries.

The next try came from one of many strong runs from Claire Benard as Hampstead continued to demonstrate their pace and fitness with further tries from vice-captain Ciara McGowan and Benard.

Stockwood were again beaten on the fringes with some impressive pace from scrum half Barbara Sike who held her nerve to ground under the posts.

The first half ended with a yellow card for the hosts and a penalty try for Hampstead following a high tackle on McGowan as she strived for the line.

Most Read

The second half opened with Benard cutting through the middle of the pitch, followed by a try from captain Alexia Troian.

Stockwood Park fought back and Hampstead soon found themselves back on their own line, but solid defence prevented Stockwood from grounding the ball.

Some determined running from new recruit Louise Clarke and a well-executed offload to the pacey McGowan lead to another try for the visitors.

Next it was the turn of the Hampstead forwards putting Rhiannon Palmer into space to run in another score

Stockwood Park, to their credit, kept going and were eventually rewarded with a try, but Hampstead piled on the points.

Quick–thinking play by Benard, saw her capitalise on a gap in the home defence to cross the line and Sike ran in another in the final seconds.

Conversions from hard-hitting ‘forward of the match’ Keshia Evans, who also exhibited some impressive attacking runs, and the reliable boot of Elaine O’Rourke resulted in a final score of 67-5.

The seconds have a well deserved rest this weekend, whilst the first team travel to Romford, before both teams return to play on home turf on November 5.