Hockey: Hampstead & Westminster women win again
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead & Westminster women maintained their 100 per cent start to the new Investec Conference East season with a 6-1 home win over Barnes.
Having celebrated a 4-0 victory at Southgate a week earlier, Hampstead made a slow start on their own turf, giving away too much possession.
But they broke the deadlock from a short corner, as Jasmine Clark deflected the ball into the net, and Louise Radford made it 2-0 on 28 minutes.
Newly promoted Barnes struck back immediately, but Hampstead kept their composure and Clark got her second goal of the day from open play to make it 3-1 play just before half time.
Hampstead started the second half with great intensity after a bit of a pep talk at half time.
You may also want to watch:
But it took them another 25 minutes before they could extend their lead, with Lauren Turner quickest to react to a rebound at a short corner to net number four.
As Barnes dropped off, Hampstead kept control and two great solo runs and goals by Hayley Turner and Sarah Robertson in the last 10 minutes saw them run out convincing winners.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 3 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 4 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 5 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
- 6 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 7 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 8 'The council thought asking your view is unnecessary'
- 9 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 10 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
But although it was a solid team performance and a good win, Hampstead – who have strengthened their squad with the additions of London Olympian Emily Maguire, former GB squad player Lauren Turner and Rio Olympian cyclist Sarah Robertson – know there will be much tougher tests to come.
They top the table on goal difference ahead of last season’s other title contender Sevenoaks and travel to Chelmsford this weekend.
Hampstead & Westminster men had to settle for a point from their Premier Division meeting with defending champions Wimbledon.
Having beaten Brooklands MU 4-0 in their opener, with goals from Stephen Dowds (2), Rupert Shipperley and Samuel French, they fell behind on 13 minutes to a Nathanael Stewart corner.
Matt Guide-Brown levelled from a Hampstead corner, only for Peter Friend to put the home side back in front.
Dowds struck again on 67 minutes to earn a point ahead of Saturday’s trip to Surbiton.