Hockey: Hampstead & Westminster trio get Commonwealth Games call
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead & Westminster’s Steve Kelly, Jonny Gooch and Rupert Shipperley have been named in the Wales squad for next month’s Commonwealth Games in Australia.
The trio will jet off to the Gold Coast on March 23 and Kelly admits they cannot wait.
He said: “Selection for the Commonwealths has been absolutely amazing, the last three years have all built towards this competition. Knowing it is actually happening and the experiences that are about to come is hard to put into words.
“I’m unsure what we’re going to see at the tournament, we’re playing teams we haven’t come across much in the past few years which will offer an interesting challenge.
“The overall experience is something the players and staff are excited for. Living in the athletes village is going to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I’m looking forward to being able to talk to all the different athletes from different nations and sports and learning about their experiences and training methods.
You may also want to watch:
“The Hampstead season has been up and down so far, with some difficult matches unfortunately slipping away from us. However we remain the most dangerous team in the league building to a hopeful play-off victory.”
Hampstead are set to host Surbiton at Paddington Rec on Sunday (1.3pm).
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 4 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 5 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 6 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 7 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 8 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted