Hockey: Hampstead & Westminster trio get Commonwealth Games call
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead & Westminster’s Steve Kelly, Jonny Gooch and Rupert Shipperley have been named in the Wales squad for next month’s Commonwealth Games in Australia.
The trio will jet off to the Gold Coast on March 23 and Kelly admits they cannot wait.
He said: “Selection for the Commonwealths has been absolutely amazing, the last three years have all built towards this competition. Knowing it is actually happening and the experiences that are about to come is hard to put into words.
“I’m unsure what we’re going to see at the tournament, we’re playing teams we haven’t come across much in the past few years which will offer an interesting challenge.
“The overall experience is something the players and staff are excited for. Living in the athletes village is going to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I’m looking forward to being able to talk to all the different athletes from different nations and sports and learning about their experiences and training methods.
You may also want to watch:
“The Hampstead season has been up and down so far, with some difficult matches unfortunately slipping away from us. However we remain the most dangerous team in the league building to a hopeful play-off victory.”
Hampstead are set to host Surbiton at Paddington Rec on Sunday (1.3pm).
- 1 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 2 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 3 Crouch End Vampires help feed homeless with soup kitchen fundraiser
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Rebuilt Carlton Tavern will be 'heart of the community' say hopeful landlords
- 6 West Hampstead restaurant cooks for NHS carers
- 8 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 9 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 10 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close