Highgate heroes storm the House
CRAIG Gourlay and Phil Brown rescued Highgate, who overcame a horror start to snatch victory at rock-bottom Wycombe House. Asked to bat, Highgate struggled to 48-2 and then collapsed...
MCL DIVISION THREE
Highgate 179 (10pts) beat Wycombe House 151 (0)
CRAIG Gourlay and Phil Brown rescued Highgate, who overcame a horror start to snatch victory at rock-bottom Wycombe House.
Asked to bat, Highgate struggled to 48-2 and then collapsed, losing a further four wickets for just three runs, before Phil Brown (40) and Gourlay (53) dragged their team-mates to a defendable total with a crucial partnership.
You may also want to watch:
The same pair then completed the turnaround, scuppering Wycombe's reply as Brown finished with figures of 4-45 and Gourlay 4-43 in a 28-run victory.
Zac Curtis (24) and Jake Sharland (17) had earlier got the innings underway for Highgate, who now sit fourth in the table.
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 4 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 5 Discover Crouch End's very own cathedral
- 6 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 8 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
- 9 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 10 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
But disaster struck as the second wicket of Curtis was quickly followed by the dismissal of Nicolas Brunner (4), and then another three wickets.
Batting at seven and eight, Brown and Gourlay took the visitors on to 116-7, while Tony Duckett (23 not out) also added priceless runs alongside Gourlay.
Wycombe's chase began badly when Duckett removed both openers for six runs, and Brown kept up the pressure by taking the next three wickets for 27.
Wycombe initially refused to lie down, and Ben Taylor (34) added a little stability before becoming the first of Gourlay's four victims as House crumbled.