Highgate boxer Kara Baah wins gold at BUCS Nationals
- Credit: Archant
Highgate’s Kara Baah faced some of Britain’s best young boxers at the British Universities & Colleges Sports Gatorade Nationals – and she won the gold.
The 20-year-old, who went to Parliament Hill School, used to be more interested in athletics, but when she started her physiotherapy degree at the University of Brighton she decided to take up boxing as a form of fitness training.
Having impressed her coach, Baah stepped up to fighting competitively, leading her to Sheffield for the BUCS championships.
And, although she took some blows from Wezi Kumwenda in the Under-54kg final, she won the bout to secure the title.
“I’m very pleased and happy. The hard work has paid off – all those sprints and hours of training was definitely worth it,” said Baah.
You may also want to watch:
“I was a bit nervous, I know BUCS is a big deal. There was a bit of nerves in the back of my head this time but I used it to drive me.
“She [Kumwenda] was very heavy-handed and I felt my face pounding slightly. I just stuck to the plan, which was to move in and out when she was working the shots and that worked for me. I was also able to catch her off-guard and get the win, it’s great.
- 1 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 2 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 3 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 4 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 5 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
- 6 'The council thought asking your view is unnecessary'
- 7 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 8 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 9 Ken Clarke's anger at 'pointless' Infected Blood Inquiry questions
- 10 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
“Coming to university I wanted to explore something new and take a sport more seriously.
“I love it. Life can definitely surprise you. It’s my second year now so I still have another year to go, and hopefully I can compete again here. Another gold is the plan.”
Gatorade is the exclusive nutrition and hydration partner to British Universities & Colleges Sports and headline sponsor of the BUCS Gatorade Nationals.
BUCS and Gatorade work together to educate student athletes on the importance of sports nutrition and hydration Visit www.bucs.org.uk/gatorade for more information.