Highbury Korfball Club make a perfect start with victory over reigning champions
- Credit: Archant
Highbury Korfball Club emerged victorious against reigning champions Bec II in their opening fixture of the season, triumphing 16-12 in the London Regional League.
Ana Rocha’s four goals secured the win for Highbury, who are eyeing promotion to the England Korfball Premier League.
Rocha’s neat turn and shot at the post gave the away side the lead, only for Bec to equalise.
Moses Hutchinson-Pascal restored the lead, but again Bec came back to claim a second equaliser.
Rocha was on fine form though, as she hit her second and third goals of the game to claim an early hat-trick, but Bec came back into the game one more with three unanswered goals.
You may also want to watch:
In reply, Highbury fought hard for an equaliser and it arrived through Niccola Hyslop, to level the score at 5-5 at the break.
Debutant Will Tiddy fired home a long-range shot after the restart, before another debutant Mirelle Geervliet scored to give Highbury a two-goal advantage.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 3 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 4 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 5 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 6 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 7 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Murder arrest after Primrose Hill woman dies from stab wounds
- 10 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
But, true to form, Bec got themselves back into the game with a trio of goals to take the lead.
Hutchinson-Pascal and Hyslop restored Highbury’s lead before Bec equalised once more.
Highbury’s Hutchinson-Pascal, Geervliet, Hyslop and Matt Dodds then all scored without a Bec reply to extend their advantage - and Rocha and Leonie Ansems De Vries sealed the win before a late Bec consolation.