Highbury Korfball Club extend winning run to six games
- Credit: Archant
Highbury produced another high-scoring display to see off bottom side Mitcham 19-13 and secure their sixth successive victory in the London Regional League, moving up to third place in the table.
Swiss Cottage-based Highbury got off to the best possible start with a goal from Martin Petrie but the visitors’ lead was short-lived as Mitcham found their range, hitting three unanswered goals.
Niccola Hyslop, Petrie and Dennis Hartsink replied with long- range efforts to get Highbury back into the lead, 4-3 up.
However, Mitcham’s shooting was clincial and was posing a real threat to Highbury. The teams traded goals from 4-4 to 6-6, but the away team then got two in a row through Hyslop and Matthew Dodds.
Leonie Ansems de Vries extended the lead and, although Mitcham pulled one back, Dodds struck twice more and Hartsink also hit the target to put Highbury in control.
Mitcham got back into the game again with two goals and, while Dodds added another one to Highbury’s tally, the hosts scored another double to narrow the deficit to just two. But that scare kicked Highbury into life and Dodds, Hyslop and Amy Redston all struck without reply.
Mitcham clawed another goal back, but the Highbury onslaught continued with further goals from Hyslop, Hartsink and substitute Darry Light before Mitcham got the final goal of the game.
- 1 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 2 Police called to 'youth with knife trying to climb school gates'
- 3 Night-time fishing suspended at Vale of Health following 'antisocial behaviour'
- 4 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 5 Jailed: 9 north London offenders put behind bars in June
- 6 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 7 Covid: North London hospital admissions rising amid national surge
- 8 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 9 Elvis Presley songwriter and former Ham&High columnist dies aged 82
- 10 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
Highbury are in Promotion Division action on Sunday against Croydon.