Hendon secure quickfire double over Witham Town but Wingate & Finchley suffer shock defeat

Hendon boss Gary McCann. Pic: Andrew Aleksiejczuk

Hendon boss Gary McCann. Pic: Andrew Aleksiejczuk - Credit: Archant

Hendon secured a quickfire league double over Witham Town, beating the Essex side twice in the space of four days, to consolidate their place in the play-off spots.

Kezie Ibe hit a brace as the Greens secured a 2-0 home win on Saturday, and that was followed by a 2-1 away win against the same opponents on last night.

Gary McCann’s side went ahead in the second minute after an own goal from Connor Mead. And, although Danny Emmanuel equalised for the hosts around the half- hour mark, Aaron Morgan struck a second-half winner for Hendon.

That took the Dons, who sit fourth in the league, seven points clear of seventh-placed East Thurrock, who are battling to get into the play-off positions, and they have also closed the gap on third-placed Dulwich Hamlet to four points, while McCann’s outfit have games in hand in all of the sides around them.

Meanwhile, Wingate & Finchley missed the chance to move into the play-off positions after suffering a disappointing 5-1 defeat away against struggling Harrow Borough.

The Blues had triumphed 2-1 away at Peacehaven and Telscombe on Saturday thanks to goals from Rob Laney and Tommy Tejan-Sie – and they took the lead in the fifth minute at Harrow on Tuesday night as David Knight headed in from close range.

However, Borough’s Ben Long equalised immediately with a header of his own and, in a frantic start, Lewis Driver put the hosts 2-1 up in the 10th minute.

Most Read

Things got worse after half an hour as Blues right-back Mark Goodman conceded a penalty and was sent off, with Mark Charles-Smith converting from the spot – and David Taylor and Ryan Hope put two more goals past the visitors’ 10 men in the final 20 minutes of the match.

W&F striker Laney reflected: “Defensively as a whole team we didn’t turn up, and we didn’t make the keeper work enough when we did have our chances. I did think the red card was harsh, but once you go down to 10 men it is always going to be an uphill struggle.

“To be fair to Harrow, they took their chances clinically. We could have come back into the game many times at 3-1 but the fourth goal ended the game.

“The best thing now is to look forward to Met Police on Saturday – a win there can put us back in reaching distance of the play-offs because we are still not far behind.”