Hendon’s three-match winning run is ended by Saracens Amateurs
- Credit: Archant
Hendon’s three-match winning run came to an end as they suffered a 36-8 home defeat against Saracens Amateurs in Herts/Middlesex Division Two, with the only consolation being Tom Mathius’ late try.
Hendon were playing uphill in the first half and, following a trio of victories, they started strongly with their forwards pushing upfield and putting Saracens on the back foot.
However, several attacks led by Mike Fawcett and Dave Connell came to nothing – and the visitors put together a well-worked move in the 15th minute to score a converted try.
Hendon fought back with a back-row move from Harry Charles and John McCarthy – which was again stopped short – but it produced a penalty and Mike Evan-Jones slotted the ball over to reduce the deficit to 7-3.
However, Sarries scored a second try before the interval to go into the break 12-3 up, and Hendon lost Connell and Fawcett to injury after the restart.
You may also want to watch:
Ten minutes into the second period, a defensive mistake allowed Saracens’ fly-half to score under the posts and stretch their lead – and they added two more touchdowns and a penalty to establish a 36-3 advantage.
The visitors took their foot off the pedal in the last 10 minutes, and Hendon’s Harry Charles led a sustained attack, with Mathius ultimately scoring in the corner.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 3 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 4 Baked to perfection: Dunns rakes in prizes at World Bread Awards
- 5 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
- 6 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 7 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 8 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 9 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 10 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
Hendon will return to action in the new year with an away game at West London on January 4.