Hendon’s Curry is too strong for Kilburn

Hendon 20

Kilburn Cosmos 5

JOEL Curry’s hat-trick secured victory, and a valuable bonus point, for Hendon, as they beat Kilburn Cosmos at Copthall on Saturday.

Hendon were slow to take advantage of playing downhill and the visitors kept them pinned down for the first 20 minutes. Their sole chance to score was then wasted when they were awarded a penalty, only for the kick to go wide.

But Hendon kept pushing forward and were rewarded on the half hour mark when skipper Lee Linale pounced on the ball after a Kilburn error. He carried it to the 22metre line before passing to hooker Curry who crossed the line, to bag his first try since returning from the Antipodes.

The try was not converted, on what proved to be a difficult day for both side’s kickers who failed to convert a single kick, and the score remained 5-0 at the break.

Kilburn enjoyed increased possession after the restart, but continually failed to cope with Hendon’s front row of Joe Haughie, Paul Julian and Curry who all had tremendous games.

Most Read

Hendon’s hard work paid off early in the second half when flanker Jamie Connolly, who was playing in the backs, cut through Kilburn’s defence, and passed to Curry who crossed the line to secure his second try.

He completed the hat-trick five minutes later after No.8 Brian O’Regan had made a great run upfield, passed inside to Aiden Doyle, who passed to Curry to score.

Kilburn refused to lie down and started to use the slope to their advantage and increased possession.

Hendon conceded several penalties, which allowed Kilburn to set up a rolling maul, and John Fenlon scored for the visitors.

The score remained 15-5 until the closing minutes when Hendon took the match beyond the visitors’ reach by scoring scored after taking the game upfield

Hendon’s forward pack continued to dominate and from a 10 metre maul, second row Luke McEnemy collected the ball and went over in the corner.

Hendon visit London Welsh Amateurs on Saturday.