Hendon quartet good enough to swing for their supper at Muswell Hill
Hendon S Mark Tomlinson, John Smith, Donald McLeod and John Welch, won the inaugural Swing for Sammy charity tournament at Muswell Hill. The quartet finished with a total of 91 stableford points, beating a team which included Muswell s champion Steve Wals
Hendon'S Mark Tomlinson, John Smith, Donald McLeod and John Welch, won the inaugural Swing for Sammy charity tournament at Muswell Hill.
The quartet finished with a total of 91 stableford points, beating a team which included Muswell's champion Steve Walsom into second place by two points at Rhodes Avenue.
The tournament raised over £16,000 for cancer-related charities - £11,000 more than the organisers had originally targeted.
The event, staged in memory of Samantha Trow - who recently lost her battle against cancer at the age of 26 - attracted 172 players, including a dozen professionals.
You may also want to watch:
An auction, held in the clubhouse after the prize giving ceremony, featured holiday packages, equipment and memorabilia signed by the likes of Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Sergio Garcia, Padraig Harrington, Justin Rose and Peter Alliss.
The evening was rounded off with a talk from a representative of Cancer Research UK, which received more than £13,000 of the money raised, and a live performance from a local swing band.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 3 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 4 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 5 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 6 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 7 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 8 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 9 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 10 Heroic walker who raised thousands for charity dies aged 101
A second Swing for Sammy golf day will be held at Muswell Hill on July 24, 2009.
For more information email email@example.com or call 07973-862747.