Hendon quartet good enough to swing for their supper at Muswell Hill
Hendon S Mark Tomlinson, John Smith, Donald McLeod and John Welch, won the inaugural Swing for Sammy charity tournament at Muswell Hill. The quartet finished with a total of 91 stableford points, beating a team which included Muswell s champion Steve Wals
Hendon'S Mark Tomlinson, John Smith, Donald McLeod and John Welch, won the inaugural Swing for Sammy charity tournament at Muswell Hill.
The quartet finished with a total of 91 stableford points, beating a team which included Muswell's champion Steve Walsom into second place by two points at Rhodes Avenue.
The tournament raised over £16,000 for cancer-related charities - £11,000 more than the organisers had originally targeted.
The event, staged in memory of Samantha Trow - who recently lost her battle against cancer at the age of 26 - attracted 172 players, including a dozen professionals.
You may also want to watch:
An auction, held in the clubhouse after the prize giving ceremony, featured holiday packages, equipment and memorabilia signed by the likes of Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Sergio Garcia, Padraig Harrington, Justin Rose and Peter Alliss.
The evening was rounded off with a talk from a representative of Cancer Research UK, which received more than £13,000 of the money raised, and a live performance from a local swing band.
- 1 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 4 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 5 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 6 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 7 'The euphoria felt like the summer of love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 8 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 9 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
A second Swing for Sammy golf day will be held at Muswell Hill on July 24, 2009.
For more information email email@example.com or call 07973-862747.