Hendon lose after failing to hold lead
Hendon 29 Saracens Amateurs 38 HENDON were beaten by Saracens Amateurs when they failed to make an early lead pay off in the opening match of the Herts/Middlesex Division One season...
Saracens Amateurs 38
HENDON were beaten by Saracens Amateurs when they failed to make an early lead pay off in the opening match of the Herts/Middlesex Division One season.
Hendon opened the scoring with a penalty and were 15-0 ahead after 30 minutes, only to let visiting Saracens off the hook by allowing them to score two tries - one converted - to leave the scoreline 15-12 at half-time. Saracens continued the momentum in the second half, running in a trio of tries to lead 33-15. The hosts rallied, but failed to reclaim their advantage.
Earlier, Ben Linale had slotted a penalty for a 3-0 lead and Hendon's forwards pushed on with Michael Blake finishing the play with an inside move to score. Linale kicked the conversion to leave Eric Butler's men 10-0 up.
In the 20th minute Paul Julian touched down in the corner for 15-0.
- 1 Obituary: Tributes to Gospel Oak toy 'legend' Kristin Baybars
- 2 Meet the Crouch End duo taking on McDonald's
- 3 John Lewis Christmas advert: The Golders Green teenager who met an alien
- 4 'Looking for '70s or '80s clothing? Here is a north London gem'
- 5 Three dogs saved from Swiss Cottage flat fire
- 6 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 7 Hundreds march against male violence in Haringey
- 8 'The case for Arsenal starting places for Martinelli and Tierney'
- 9 CCTV: ‘Violent’ Archway Road shop robbery
- 10 Christmas at Kenwood feels like walking in a winter wonderland
But the lead didn't last and Hendon ran in a brace of tries to cut the deficit to just three points at the break.
In the second half Saracens quickly took control by running in three tries to establish a commanding lead. But Hendon refused to roll over and hit back with tries from Nunez and Butler, both converted by Linale to trail 33-29.
But Saracens were not done with and upped the tempo. Their efforts paid off when they touched down in the corner for a converted try.
Hendon visit Kilburn Cosmos on Saturday.
Hendon: Cremin, B Linale, Whittaker, Blake, Nunez, Handley, L Linale, Julian, Towndrow, Gilbride, Doyle, Light, Kelly, Butler, Mutuma. Subs: Connor, Dyeshomu, Falery.