Hendon eye a decisive final day in promotion battle after victory over Thamesians
- Credit: Archant
Hendon will go into the final game with a good shot at promotion in Herts/Middlesex Division Two after beating Thamesians 24-14 at home on Saturday.
The Dons are only outside the top two spots because they have an inferior points difference to second-placed London French, who are 35 points better off over the course of their nine games against the elite six sides.
However, French are away against the champions Hillingdon Abbots on the last day on April 11, while Hendon visit sixth-placed Watford, who have lost seven of their nine games against the other teams in the group – including against the Dons when the sides last met in January.
Hendon were playing down the slope with the wind behind them against Thamesians in the first half, and they took full advantage.
John McCarthy scored the opening try, which was converted by Cian Hynes, and 10 minutes later full-back Arwel Roberts raced onto a Hines kick to touch down, with the extras being added again.
You may also want to watch:
Hendon’s forwards were dominating and, after 25 minutes, number eight Pat McDermottook the ball from a Thamesians scrum on the 22 and powered over to establish a 19-0 lead.
The visitors hit back with a converted try just before the break, but Mike Evans-Jones went over to score the hosts’ fourth try and secure a valuable bonus point before Thamesians went over again, narrowing the gap in the final scoreline to 10 points.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 4 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 5 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 6 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 7 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 8 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 9 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United