Hendon eye a decisive final day in promotion battle after victory over Thamesians
- Credit: Archant
Hendon will go into the final game with a good shot at promotion in Herts/Middlesex Division Two after beating Thamesians 24-14 at home on Saturday.
The Dons are only outside the top two spots because they have an inferior points difference to second-placed London French, who are 35 points better off over the course of their nine games against the elite six sides.
However, French are away against the champions Hillingdon Abbots on the last day on April 11, while Hendon visit sixth-placed Watford, who have lost seven of their nine games against the other teams in the group – including against the Dons when the sides last met in January.
Hendon were playing down the slope with the wind behind them against Thamesians in the first half, and they took full advantage.
John McCarthy scored the opening try, which was converted by Cian Hynes, and 10 minutes later full-back Arwel Roberts raced onto a Hines kick to touch down, with the extras being added again.
You may also want to watch:
Hendon’s forwards were dominating and, after 25 minutes, number eight Pat McDermottook the ball from a Thamesians scrum on the 22 and powered over to establish a 19-0 lead.
The visitors hit back with a converted try just before the break, but Mike Evans-Jones went over to score the hosts’ fourth try and secure a valuable bonus point before Thamesians went over again, narrowing the gap in the final scoreline to 10 points.
- 1 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 2 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 3 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 4 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Koko to return with extra venues and community spaces for musicians
- 7 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 8 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 9 Former pupils launch creative fund to honour inspirational teacher
- 10 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill