Hendon duo score seven tries as Hendon rack up 50 points in season opener
- Credit: Archant
Arwel Roberts and debutant Derry O’Connor scored seven tries between them as Hendon triumphed 50-12 away against Harlequin Amateurs in their Herts/Middlesex Division Two season opener.
With new captain Cian Hynes also dotting down and ending up with 10 points of his own, the Dons had already scored four tries and banked a bonus point at the half-time break – and they went on to put their hosts to the sword in the second period.
Hendon started brightly and got off to the best possible start when a maul led by strong running from Jamie Connolly, John McCarthy and Brian O’Regan produced quick ball which ended with Roberts going over under the posts for the first of his four tries, while Hynes added the conversion.
The pressure told again when O’Connor threw a quick line-out to Hynes, who drew the last defender and sent O’Connor up the left touchline. He finished the day with three tries on his first appearance for the club.
Harlequins battled to get back into the game, getting over the line themselves, but Hynes dummied and ran from outside the hosts’ to touch down underneath the posts – and Hendon had four tries by the time the whistle blew for half-time.
You may also want to watch:
The home side were fired up after the break, exerting early pressure and getting over the whitewash again.
But Hendon upped their own intensity and began to score tries at will, with strong work from their tight five providing the platform for the backs to run riot.
- 1 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 3 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 4 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 5 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 6 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 7 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 8 Westminster Council shelves Paddington Rec cycling plans
- 9 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 10 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
They will aim to build on their strong start when they entertain local rivals Mill Hill on Saturday.