Hendon duo score seven tries as Hendon rack up 50 points in season opener
- Credit: Archant
Arwel Roberts and debutant Derry O’Connor scored seven tries between them as Hendon triumphed 50-12 away against Harlequin Amateurs in their Herts/Middlesex Division Two season opener.
With new captain Cian Hynes also dotting down and ending up with 10 points of his own, the Dons had already scored four tries and banked a bonus point at the half-time break – and they went on to put their hosts to the sword in the second period.
Hendon started brightly and got off to the best possible start when a maul led by strong running from Jamie Connolly, John McCarthy and Brian O’Regan produced quick ball which ended with Roberts going over under the posts for the first of his four tries, while Hynes added the conversion.
The pressure told again when O’Connor threw a quick line-out to Hynes, who drew the last defender and sent O’Connor up the left touchline. He finished the day with three tries on his first appearance for the club.
Harlequins battled to get back into the game, getting over the line themselves, but Hynes dummied and ran from outside the hosts’ to touch down underneath the posts – and Hendon had four tries by the time the whistle blew for half-time.
The home side were fired up after the break, exerting early pressure and getting over the whitewash again.
But Hendon upped their own intensity and began to score tries at will, with strong work from their tight five providing the platform for the backs to run riot.
- 1 Obituary: Tributes to Gospel Oak toy 'legend' Kristin Baybars
- 2 Meet the Crouch End duo taking on McDonald's
- 3 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 4 CCTV: ‘Violent’ Archway Road shop robbery
- 5 'Looking for '70s or '80s clothing? Here is a north London gem'
- 6 Christmas at Kenwood feels like walking in a winter wonderland
- 7 Possible traffic disruptions in north London this week
- 8 Three dogs saved from Swiss Cottage flat fire
- 9 Hundreds march against male violence in Haringey
- 10 'The case for Arsenal starting places for Martinelli and Tierney'
They will aim to build on their strong start when they entertain local rivals Mill Hill on Saturday.