Hendon duo score seven tries as Hendon rack up 50 points in season opener
- Credit: Archant
Arwel Roberts and debutant Derry O’Connor scored seven tries between them as Hendon triumphed 50-12 away against Harlequin Amateurs in their Herts/Middlesex Division Two season opener.
With new captain Cian Hynes also dotting down and ending up with 10 points of his own, the Dons had already scored four tries and banked a bonus point at the half-time break – and they went on to put their hosts to the sword in the second period.
Hendon started brightly and got off to the best possible start when a maul led by strong running from Jamie Connolly, John McCarthy and Brian O’Regan produced quick ball which ended with Roberts going over under the posts for the first of his four tries, while Hynes added the conversion.
The pressure told again when O’Connor threw a quick line-out to Hynes, who drew the last defender and sent O’Connor up the left touchline. He finished the day with three tries on his first appearance for the club.
Harlequins battled to get back into the game, getting over the line themselves, but Hynes dummied and ran from outside the hosts’ to touch down underneath the posts – and Hendon had four tries by the time the whistle blew for half-time.
You may also want to watch:
The home side were fired up after the break, exerting early pressure and getting over the whitewash again.
But Hendon upped their own intensity and began to score tries at will, with strong work from their tight five providing the platform for the backs to run riot.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 4 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 5 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 6 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 7 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 8 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 9 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United
They will aim to build on their strong start when they entertain local rivals Mill Hill on Saturday.