Hendon coach sees positive signs despite defeat
- Credit: Archant
Hendon coach Chris Palmer was pleased to see his side putting their training sessions into practise, even though they lost their Herts/Middlesex Division Two opener 17-9 at home against London Welsh.
Toby Ikwueke and Cosy Mutuma went close to scoring tries but the hosts had to settle for three penalty kicks – and their visitors ran in three scores to earn an away win.
Palmer said: “Much of our training was evident in the match and, with a change in tactics during the second half, once the ball was secured we should have crossed their line for a closer finish.”
Hendon and London Welsh were relegated together last season, and LW won both of last term’s meetings convincingly – but this was a much closer affair.
Scott Handley slotted an early penalty and then missed a chance to repeat to feat, which looked costly as the visitors scored a converted try after their first attack and then touched down again after winning a scrum against the head.
You may also want to watch:
Hendon centre Ikwueke looked to be heading for a try after an interception, but a high tackle meant the home side had to settle for a Michael Blake penalty kick, making it 12-6 at half-time.
LW extended their lead with a well-worked try, but from then on it was all Hendon and, when LW were penalised for stopping Mutuma’s charge, Handley cut the deficit to eight points – but that was as close as they got.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 3 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 6 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 7 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 8 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 9 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 10 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill