Hendon battle back but late penalty condemns them to a painful defeat at Uxbridge
- Credit: Archant
Hendon battled back from behind to take a 75th-minute lead at Uxbridge – but a late penalty kick condemned them to a 17-16 defeat in Herts/Middlesex Division Two.
Having earned their first win of the season the previous weekend, Hendon picked up the first points as Michael Evans slotted over a penalty to give his side a 3-0 lead.
However, the hosts then exerted sustained pressure and scored three penalties of their own in the first period, going into the break 9-3 to the good.
Uxbridge came out flying after the interval and scored a try out wide to extend their lead to 14-3 – but, with 25 minutes to save the game, Hendon fought back.
Pushing into Uxbridge territory, they won a penalty – which Evans converted – and from the kick-off Paul Geraghty beat several defenders to make his way into the 22, and John McCarthy was on hand to finish with a splendid individual try, which Evans converted to narrow the gap to close the deficit to one point at 14-13.
You may also want to watch:
Hendon’s front row were now too strong for their hosts, who conceded another penalty, and Evans slotted over to give his side a deserved 16-14 lead with five minutes to go.
However, they then tried to run the ball rather than keeping it tight, resulting in a costly turn-over as Uxbridge won a 78th-minute penalty and regained the lead.
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 4 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 6 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 7 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
- 8 Free festival to take over the streets of Camden
- 9 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 10 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
Hendon were awarded a further penalty at the death but the kick at goal was just short and the visitors had to settle for a bonus point for being within seven points of the victors.