Hendon are two home wins away from promotion after commanding victory over Thamesians

Toby Ikwueke scored two of Hendon's eight tries. Pic: Paolo Minoli

Toby Ikwueke scored two of Hendon's eight tries. Pic: Paolo Minoli - Credit: Archant

Hendon are two home wins away from promotion in Herts/Middlesex Division Two after a convincing 55-7 victory away against Thamesians kept their fate in their own hands.

Arwel Roberts and Toby Ikwueke both touched down twice as the visitors ran in eight tries – six of which were converted by captain Cian Hynes, who added a penalty to contribute 15 points with the boot in total.

Hendon remain three points behind Watford, who occupy the second of the two promotion spots, but they have a game in hand and their final two fixtures are both at home.

They can leapfrog their rivals this weekend when they play a rearranged fixture against fifth-placed Haringey Rhinos, who lost 60-17 at Watford on Saturday – and, if successful, they would then just need to beat sixth-placed West London on April 16 to move up a level.

Hendon opened the scoring against Thamesians inside the first minute on Saturday. Hynes kicked the ball out for a line-out on the home side’s 22 and, after Chris Towndrow won the ball, front-row forward Roddy Walsh crashed over the line, with Hynes adding the extras.

The lead was doubled eight minutes later as Brian O’Regan collected the ball when Hynes’ penalty hit the post and found Roberts, who scored out wide.

Hynes converted again and played another key part in the third try that closely followed, launching a high kick which was gathered by Harry Charles, who broke through and sent Derry O’Connor over the whitewash, while Hynes added a further two points.

Most Read

It became 26-0 on the half-hour mark, Roberts tackling a Thamesians defender and securing an early bonus point – and six minutes later Charles found a gap and freed Ikwueke, whose try was converted by Hynes.

The hosts’ misery was compounded as one of their players was sin-binned just before half-time, and Hynes’ penalty kick gave Hendon a 36-0 lead at the break.

There was no let-up as the visitors twice forced their way over the line in quick succession and, although they were held up on both occasions, they extended their advantage 10 minutes after the interval as Hynes took a tap penalty and sent winger Adam Johnson over in the corner.

It was one-way traffic as scrum-half John Paul Cremin freed Ikwueke for his second try, which was converted by Hynes.

And, although Thamesians managed to get over the whitewash themselves at the other end, Hendon passed the 50-point mark before the finish as Mike Evans-Jones took a quick penalty on the home side’s 10-metre line and beat two defenders before touching down, with Hynes adding the extras for the final time.