Haringey youngsters set to benefit from 10 sport scholarships in Summer of Stars initiative
- Credit: Archant
Fusion Lifestyle are aiming to find 10 children from Haringey and offer them year-long sport scholarships to help them realise their dreams.
The ‘Summer of Stars’ initiative, which will seek to aid young people of varying abilities, has been launched in tandem with former Olympic sprinter Jason Gardener MBE, and open trials will be held next month.
Those hoping to secure scholarships in football, tennis, athletics and rugby can try their hand at the sports or showcase their talents at New River Sports and Fitness on Saturday July 2, while swimming try-outs will be held at Tottenham Green Pools and Fitness on Sunday July 10.
Children of all capabilities arewelcome and previous experience is not required, as the youngsters will be chosen based on their interest, enthusiasm or natural talent.
Children will pre-register for the sports they would like to try out and, on the day, they will be split into two age groups (6-10 and 11-15).
You may also want to watch:
A selection of coaches will run a range of games and challenges across each sport, and 10 lucky winners will then be given scholarships, which take the form of year-long coaching courses, lessons or training sessions.
Two youngsters will be selected for each of the five sports – one in each age group – with the idea being to nurture their talents and self-belief.
- 1 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 2 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 3 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 4 Taste of Nawab: A community staple with Tripadvisor acclaim
- 5 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 6 Skyscraper plans rejected by Westminster Council over damage to views
- 7 'Real harm to wildlife': Invasive crayfish in Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 8 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 9 'She means the world': Councillor's plea to bring home missing cat Evey
- 10 Early plans under way for Dartmouth Park LTN scheme
Gardener said: “This is a brilliant initiative that will give children a boost of confidence, allowing them to take the first step in realising their passion in sport. It’s exciting to think that we may find a jewel or two in the Haringey area.”
Ian Cooper, regional business manager for Fusion in the South East, added: “For us sport is all about being inclusive.
“So much of sporting success is about believing in yourself, and this is what we want to bring out and inspire in the participants –everyone is capable.
“We want to open up opportunities and, hopefully, provide a training and mentoring platform to help kickstart their ambition.”
The two youngsters who win tennis scholarships will be given a one-hour lesson each week for a year, while the footballing pair will take part in a 90-minute group coaching session each week.
The swimmers will be involved in a 30-minute group lesson on a weekly basis, and the athletics duo will join group training sessions with UK Athletics, while the children who are selected for the rugby will get group sessions with London Skolars, who are based at New River.
Fusion are also offering 20 runner-up prizes, including unlimited swimming and access to relevant gym sessions and exercise classes.
For full details and to register your child visit www.newriversport.com/summerofstars.