Isthmian League: Haringey win, Wingate lose
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Haringey got the better of mid-table rivals Potters Bar to claim a 3-2 win in a five-goal thriller at Coles Park on Saturday.
Having seen Coby Rowe and Dimitri Froxylias depart for new challenges during the week, Tom Loizou's men fell behind on 18 minutes as Ben Ward-Cochrange put the Scholars ahead.
The home side were back on level terms just past the hour mark as Roman Michael Percil fired a penalty into the roof of the net.
And they took the lead moments later as Percil produced a fantastic run and shot, which was parried by R'avan Constable for Romoluwa Akinola to score.
The visitors hit back to square matters with 10 minutes remaining, though, as Thomas Gogo beat Jonathon Miles.
But Haringey regained the lead just three minutes later as Rakim Richards produced a great header from a corner.
Potters Bar were handed a gilt-edged chance to claim a point two minutes from time when they were awarded a penalty, but Miles saved the spot-kick to ensure Haringey took all three points.
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 3 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 4 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in north London
- 5 Camden woman in running for Miss Universe Germany
- 6 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Haringey
- 7 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
- 8 Renaissance painting discovered in pensioner's bedroom sells for £255k
- 9 Belsize Park phone box transformed into art gallery by prep school pupils
- 10 Man jailed for membership of banned neo-Nazi group National Action
The win lifted Haringey up to 12th place, two points behind Bar with three games in hand, with a trip to Margate next Saturday.
Haringey: Miles, Ismail, Demetriou, Richards, Alexandrou, Durojaiye, Percil, Aresti, Solomou (Akindayini 78), Akinola, McDonald (Djassi-Sambu 90).
Unused subs: Barthram, Dervishan, Russell.
Carshalton Athletic 3 Wingate & Finchley 2
Wingate & Finchley remain bottom of the table following their latest defeat at Carshalton.
The Blues had a great chance to open the scoring in the first minute as Charlie Ruff's downward header was superbly saved by Kelton Perntreou.
But they struck on 18 minutes when Johnville Renee worked his way into the bottom from a short corner and chipped the ball up for Christian Forino-Joseph to head into the roof of the net.
Ricky Korboa dragged a left-footed shot into the side netting on 27 minutes for the home side and Wingate's Olu Oluwatimilehin shot into the hands of Perntreou, while Carshalton's Lewis White blazed over from the edge of the box just before half time.
The hosts were back on terms three minutes after the restart as Paris Hamilton-Downes converted from the penalty spot.
And they took the lead on 58 minutes when Peter Adeniyi's shot was deflected past the helpless Shane Gore.
Korboa made it 3-1 just past the hour and Kane Farrell curled a shot narrowly over the bar for Wingate, whose late penalty from Oluwaseun Akinsanya was little consolation.
After a third successive defeat and fifth in six league matches, Spencer Knight's side are due to host Margate in the Velocity Trophy on Tuesday,
Wingate: Gore, Platt, Farrell, Rifat, Forino-Joseph (Woods-Garness 69), Grace, Tejan-Sie, Oluwatimilehin, Akinsanya, Ruff (Ifil 76), Renee (Kennedy 84). Unused subs: Eales, Sayoud.