Haringey’s Judith Pedersen wins 2016 Volunteer of the Year prize at National Badminton Awards
- Credit: Raphael Sachetat/Badmintonphoto
Haringey’s Judith Pedersen has won the 2016 Volunteer of the Year prize at the National Badminton Awards at the All England tournament in Birmingham.
Pedersen helps to coach and run Alexandra Park Junior Badminton Club, based at Alexandra Park School.
She attends all six training sessions every week, assisting and organising each of the 129 current junior members. Last November, she led the club in a great fundraising effort for Badminton4Macmillan, with £5,134 being raised for Macmillan.
Both of the Alexandra Park boys’ teams reached the London Youth Games finals at Crystal Palace, winning valuable points for Haringey – and Pedersen is also passionate about getting more teenage girls playing badminton and retaining them.
“I am very proud and honoured to win Volunteer of the Year,” she said. “Thank you to Yonex, who have sponsored the award and given a £500 equipment prize, which is absolutely fantastic. I will be using the money to buy new rackets for the club.
You may also want to watch:
“I am also very proud of how Alexandra Park Junior Badminton Club has developed from a mere handful of players in 2007 to a truly great junior community badminton club with many volunteers and coaches.”
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 3 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 5 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 6 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 7 Toilets, the Ponds, Streatery, Nazanin and Palestine
- 8 Arteta asks Arsenal to use 'pain' to punish West Brom
- 9 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 10 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates