Haringey Huskies suffer defeat in first match against Basingstoke

Haringey Huskies player huddle after losing their first match to Basingstoke Buffalo (Pic: Hev Osbor

Haringey Huskies player huddle after losing their first match to Basingstoke Buffalo (Pic: Hev Osborne) - Credit: Archant

Basingstoke Buffalo 6 Haringey Huskies 3

Newly-formed Haringey Huskies suffered a 6-3 defeat to Basingstoke Buffalo in their first ever match last night.

Coach Dan Sampson and his men travelled to Basingstoke to kick-start their NIHL Two season and fell short in their first away game as a club.

Buffalo were inspired to victory by a brace from youngster Samuel Brooks and goals from Warren Jones, Paul Petts, Blair Dubnyk and Gregory Martyn.

It was a feisty start to the match and it was just three minutes in when Huskies Bryn Griffiths was called for interference and Buffalo’s Dubnyk was also called for a slashing penalty.

Two minutes temperatures continued to rise as the hosts Kyle Goddard was given a holding penalty.

In the same minute the visitors Lewis Jones was called for tripping Dubnyk, which lead to pair coming together and both receiving two minutes for roughing.

Most Read

Jack Ball also spent some time in the penalty box as he got a delay of game penalty in the sixth minute.

Jones broke the deadlock in the seventh minute when team-mate Samuel Compton passed him the puck and he slotted the puck into the back of the net to make it 1-0.

Captain Ben Osborne got the equaliser for his side and also the Huskies first-ever goal with an assist from Stephen Woodford to tie the game up.

Shortly after defenceman Ball was back in the box this time for a tripping call.

Five minutes later the hosts forward Petts was given a high-sticking minor and as soon as he returned to the ice it was team-mate Mark Austen who was given a boarding penalty.

The Huskies took advantage on the powerplay when Daniel Clayton gave them a 2-1 lead after linking up with Stuart Appleby in the 18th minute.

Buffalo equalised three minutes later with Brooks netting with assists from Cameron Buckle and Dubnyk.

In the 27th minute Goddard found himself back in the box for a hooking call this time as the tension continued to build.

With four minutes left in the second period, Haringey found themselves with the man advantage as Marcus Russell was calling for elbowing, but it was the hosts who got on the scoreboard with Martyn scoring a shorthanded goal assisted by Jones to make it 3-2.

Buffalo extended their lead a minute later as Brooks picked up his second of the match after linking up with Goddard and Buckle.

Haringey got themselves back in the contest just two minutes into the final period as Samuel Park converted a shot from an Appleby pass to pull it back to 4-3.

The hosts George Summerbell was called for interference in the 47th minute and the Huskies failed to use the man advantage to even up the game.

Dubnyk scored after receiving the puck from Compton to push his side 5-3 up.

It was Petts who sealed the points for his side as he scored with two minutes remaining to make it 6-3.

Haringey will host rivals Lee Valley Lions on Saturday in their second match of the season.

Basingstoke: Warren Jones (1+2), Samuel Brooks(2+0), Samuel Compton (0+2), Kyle Goddard (0+2), Cameron Buckle (0+2), Blair Dubnyk (1+1), Gregory Martyn (1+0), Paul Petts (1+0).

Haringey: Stuart Appleby (0+2), Ben Osborne (1+0), Daniel Clayton (1+0), Samuel Park (1+0), Stephen Woodford (0+1), Perry Whitlock (0+1).