Haringey girls looking forward to Lord’s trip
- Credit: Archant
Cricket squad chasing London Youth Games success
Haringey’s girls are relishing the chance of competing at Lord’s in the London Youth Games indoor cricket finals this weekend.
The squad, made up of players from the North London and North Middlesex clubs, overcame the odds as their qualifying event at Harrow Leisure Centre last month to book a quarter-final spot.
And team coach Martin Issitt wants them to go and enjoy the experience of playing at the home of cricket, saying: “We’re looking forward to giving it a go and the key is to just go forward and enjoy it, then you’re more likely to do well.
“We played two strong teams, Bexley and Havering, who were older and more experience than us and had county players from Kent and Essex, but we won both comfortably by doing all that we had talked about in practice.
You may also want to watch:
“We were less experienced but we got stuck in, working as a team.”
Haringey now face Richmond for a place in the semi-finals and the chance to play for medals, but Issett added: “It will be challenging at Lord’s and we know some of Richmond’s players already from club and representative cricket.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 4 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Probe into £23m property deal is like 'a vendetta', says ex-deputy leader
- 9 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 10 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
“But we’re young and incredibly keen, with lots of energy, and have some promising cricketers.”