Haringey Borough sweep into the play-offs with five-star showing over Great Wakering Rovers
- Credit: Archant
Haringey Borough moved into the Ryman League Division One North play-off places with a magnificent 5-2 win over Great Wakering Rovers.
Scott Durojaiye got two and Daniel Aristidou, Anthony McDonald and Ralston Gabriel one each as defeat for Cheshunt and a draw for Bowers & Pitsea jumped Borough in fifth.
Jake Gordon and Ricky Evans got Rovers’ goals.
The game was won in the first-half, and in truth inside the opening 19 minutes.
Aristidou put Borough ahead in the fourth minute after Rovers gave the ball away and Durojaiye’s first on eight minutes, slammed infrom 25 yards, doubled the advantage.
You may also want to watch:
Gordon curled in a beauty to halve the deficit minutes later but on 19 minutes it was back up to two as Haringey scored the goal of the game.
Simple but very effective one-touch football put them into a good position on the right and when it was played into the middle, McDonald knocked it home.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 3 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 6 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 7 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 8 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 9 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 10 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
Borough looked like they would score every time they went forward but it was deep into injury time before the fourth finally came, Gabriel sweeping in from six yards after a good run from Rakim Richards.
Haringey couldn’t find the same fluency in the second half but still had plenty of chances.
Chris Benjamin scooped over with the goal gaping and Jorge Djassi-Sambu fired straight at Ashley Harrison after he had beautifully worked the opening.
Evans curled in a free-kick to give Rovers hope but Durojaiye wrapped things up late in, cutting in from the right, feinting past Harrison and slamming the ball home.
Borough face a tough test of their play-off credentials when they host league leaders Brightlingsea Regent at Coles Park next Saturday.
Haringey: Palmer, Richards, Olufemi, Djassi-Sambu, Scott, Sheriff, Aristidou (Clarke 77), Durojaiye, Benjamin (Markus 63), Gabriel, McDonald (Willer 46)
Subs (not used): Simmonds, Setirekli
Goals: Aristidou 4, Durojaiye 8, 90+3, McDonald 19, Gabriel 45+3
Great Wakering: Harrison, Ring (Seaden 17), Robinson, Warren, Beale, Pethers, Evans, Gordon, Craik, Richmond, Burt-Allen (Ogboin 54)
Subs (not used): Hawkins
Goals: Gordon 10, Evans 67
HT: Haringey Borough 4 Great Wakering Rovers 1
Referee: Joel Mannix