Haringey Borough keep it cool to book spot in next round of the FA Cup with shoot-out win at Hitchin Town
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
FA Cup first qualifying round replay: Hitchin Town 1 Haringey Borough 1 (Haringey Borough win 3-2 on penalties)
Haringey Borough held their nerve to claim a penalty shoot-out win away to Hitchin Town in an FA Cup first qualifying round replay last night.
Tony Loizou’s team could only draw 1-1 with the Hertfordshire club at Coles Park on Saturday and so a replay was required.
Chris Benjamin opened the scoring for the north Londoners after 25 minutes to give them a boost at Top Field.
But Callum Donnelly equalised for Hitchin to ensure it was level at the break and it stayed that way despite extra time being required in Hertfordshire.
You may also want to watch:
After 120 minutes of action had failed to separate the teams on Monday, penalties were needed at Top Field.
And Haringey remained cool to claim a 3-2 success in the shoot-out and book a spot in the next round.
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 3 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 4 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 5 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 9 Ice cream shop supporting freelancers opens in Primose Hill
- 10 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
Loizou’s side will travel to National League South side Welling United now on September 16, so Borough’s scheduled Bostik North fixture away to Grays Athletic has been rearranged.