Haringey Borough keep it cool to book spot in next round of the FA Cup with shoot-out win at Hitchin Town
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
FA Cup first qualifying round replay: Hitchin Town 1 Haringey Borough 1 (Haringey Borough win 3-2 on penalties)
Haringey Borough held their nerve to claim a penalty shoot-out win away to Hitchin Town in an FA Cup first qualifying round replay last night.
Tony Loizou’s team could only draw 1-1 with the Hertfordshire club at Coles Park on Saturday and so a replay was required.
Chris Benjamin opened the scoring for the north Londoners after 25 minutes to give them a boost at Top Field.
But Callum Donnelly equalised for Hitchin to ensure it was level at the break and it stayed that way despite extra time being required in Hertfordshire.
You may also want to watch:
After 120 minutes of action had failed to separate the teams on Monday, penalties were needed at Top Field.
And Haringey remained cool to claim a 3-2 success in the shoot-out and book a spot in the next round.
- 1 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 2 Burglar of £100k watches and jewellery haul jailed
- 3 Birthday Honours: Period Poverty campaigner Amika George becomes an MBE
- 4 Neighbours fight plan for 'out of character' flats above nursery
- 5 Capita review could see Barnet Council services return in-house
- 6 Food Bank Aid joins estate agent in fight to keep up with demand
- 7 Birthday Honours: Cllr Jonathan Simpson 'astonished' to be made MBE
- 8 Birthday Honours: Gongs for Arlene Phillips, Jonathan Pryce and Engelbert Humperdinck
- 9 5 days out in London where you can meet the animals
- 10 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower
Loizou’s side will travel to National League South side Welling United now on September 16, so Borough’s scheduled Bostik North fixture away to Grays Athletic has been rearranged.