Debutant Onokwai hands Haringey narrow win
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Isthmian Premier: Haringey Borough 1 Corinthian-Casuals 0
Haringey Borough started the new Isthmian Premier season with a 1-0 win at home to Corinthian-Casuals on Saturday thanks to summer signing Chid Onokwai.
The former Eton Manor, FC Romania and Hayes & Yeading United forward marked his competitive debut with a well-taken finish in the 50th minute.
It proved enough to hand Tom Loizou's side a narrow victory on the opening day in front of a healthy crowd of 424 at Coles Park.
A strong wind made life difficult for both teams, especially in the first half and it was the hosts who settled better before Casuals started to create chances.
Following a goalless opening 45, Borough came out fired up for the second period and made it count five minutes after half time.
A ball into the area caught out the visitors' and Onokwai took a touch and fired home to open the scoring.
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 3 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 4 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 5 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 6 Sexual offence reports at record levels in Camden, Haringey and Barnet
- 7 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 8 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 9 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 10 Fundraising year begins at William IV pub in Hampstead
Jordan Edwards nearly increased Haringey's advantage not long after, but with the lead only one, Casuals always had a chance.
Loizou's men managed to defend resolutely, however, and saw out the rest of the encounter to clinch a hard-fought three points.
Next up for Borough is a trip on Tuesday to Leatherhead, who played out a 1-1 draw at Horsham on the opening day.