Debutant Onokwai hands Haringey narrow win
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Isthmian Premier: Haringey Borough 1 Corinthian-Casuals 0
Haringey Borough started the new Isthmian Premier season with a 1-0 win at home to Corinthian-Casuals on Saturday thanks to summer signing Chid Onokwai.
The former Eton Manor, FC Romania and Hayes & Yeading United forward marked his competitive debut with a well-taken finish in the 50th minute.
It proved enough to hand Tom Loizou's side a narrow victory on the opening day in front of a healthy crowd of 424 at Coles Park.
A strong wind made life difficult for both teams, especially in the first half and it was the hosts who settled better before Casuals started to create chances.
You may also want to watch:
Following a goalless opening 45, Borough came out fired up for the second period and made it count five minutes after half time.
A ball into the area caught out the visitors' and Onokwai took a touch and fired home to open the scoring.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 5 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 6 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 7 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 8 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 9 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 10 Myanmar ambassador pleads for help from Hampstead doorstep
Jordan Edwards nearly increased Haringey's advantage not long after, but with the lead only one, Casuals always had a chance.
Loizou's men managed to defend resolutely, however, and saw out the rest of the encounter to clinch a hard-fought three points.
Next up for Borough is a trip on Tuesday to Leatherhead, who played out a 1-1 draw at Horsham on the opening day.