Borough turn attention to FA Trophy after historic cup run
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Tom Loizou’s team reached the FA Cup first round for the first time ever last weekend
Haringey Borough will host Chesham United on Saturday looking to enjoy success in another cup competition.
Tom Loizou’s team have hit the headlines this week after they reached the first round of the FA Cup and were given a home tie against League One AFC Wimbledon, which will be broadcast live on BBC Two on Friday, November 9.
Before that fantastic clash, the Coles Park club have to turn their attention to the FA Trophy with the Generals, who play in the Southern League Premier Division South, visiting north London.
Chesham have struggled this season and sit bottom of their division with only one win from 12 games.
You may also want to watch:
It means Borough are most likely favourites for this FA Trophy first qualifying round tie and that tag doesn’t always sit well with boss Loizou.
He added: “The better the team we play, the better we are. We have lost five games this season and most of them were bottom at the time.
- 1 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 2 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 3 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 6 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 7 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 8 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 9 Council denies liability for Church Row bollards car damage
- 10 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
“I don’t know what it is with my players sometimes, maybe it is the non-league mentality, but I know if we turn up on the day we will always give a good account of ourselves.”
Borough certainly did last Saturday on their way to a 2-1 victory over Poole Town in the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup.
The hosts were behind at the break, but two late goals saw them reach the first round for the first time.
Loizou added: “We made two bits of history. First of all we reached the first round of the FA Cup for the first time in our history.
“Secondly, the first half was the worst I have seen the team play, but we turned it around in the second half, so we’re well happy.”
It was a different story on Tuesday night though, as they lost 3-1 at Corinthian-Casuals in the Bostik Premier.
Mark Kirby put Haringey ahead, but goals from Warren Mfula, Juevan Spencer and Mu Mann handed Casuals all three points.
Loizou will expect his team to bounce back on Saturday when struggling Chesham visit with £3,250 up for grabs in prize money to the winner.
Despite Haringey being set for a cash windfall when Dons travel to Coles Park on November 9, the north Londoners will still be desperate to win this weekend.
After Saturday’s tie, Borough return to league action on Monday (October 29) when Carshalton Athletic visit White Hart Lane.