Haringey boss insists the Isthmian League should hold off on a restart decision
Haringey Borough manager Tom Loizou believes the Isthmian League should hold off making a decision, and believes they could still complete the season.
Borough currently sit 11th in the Isthmian Premier Division after eight games – having won four and lost four. They have had successful runs in both the FA Cup and FA Trophy this campaign.
The boss believes they must avoid making another season "null and void" after last season was expunged during the first UK lockdown in the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
“It’s looking more likely that way, I hope it’s not, I don’t think they should be making a decision for at least another two weeks,” Loizou said.
“There is no reason why we can’t restart the season at the beginning of March and finish in June or something then that’s the season done.”
You may also want to watch:
A concern if they could restart the season is the depletion of squads with National League, National League South and National League North snapping up players from the levels below to bolster their squads.
“Although a lot of these big clubs like your National League and National League South are taking these players from our division now to bolster up their squads. Leaving a few teams a little bit thin.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 3 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 4 Baked to perfection: Dunns rakes in prizes at World Bread Awards
- 5 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
- 6 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 7 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 8 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 9 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 10 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
“We’ve had some interest for our players but we’re managing to hold onto them at the moment, whether that is the right thing or wrong thing to do, who knows.”
The long-serving manager also fears if another season is made "null and void" it could ruin the football pyramid in this country, which Loizou believes is the reason for the high standard of football across all levels.
“It’s ruining the pyramid, I think this country and the reason why it’s got some of the best football played in the world is because of this pyramid the FA have got.
“I think everything is going to ruin at the moment.”