Haringey boss insists the Isthmian League should hold off on a restart decision
Haringey Borough manager Tom Loizou believes the Isthmian League should hold off making a decision, and believes they could still complete the season.
Borough currently sit 11th in the Isthmian Premier Division after eight games – having won four and lost four. They have had successful runs in both the FA Cup and FA Trophy this campaign.
The boss believes they must avoid making another season "null and void" after last season was expunged during the first UK lockdown in the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
“It’s looking more likely that way, I hope it’s not, I don’t think they should be making a decision for at least another two weeks,” Loizou said.
“There is no reason why we can’t restart the season at the beginning of March and finish in June or something then that’s the season done.”
You may also want to watch:
A concern if they could restart the season is the depletion of squads with National League, National League South and National League North snapping up players from the levels below to bolster their squads.
“Although a lot of these big clubs like your National League and National League South are taking these players from our division now to bolster up their squads. Leaving a few teams a little bit thin.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 3 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 4 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 5 Arsenal signing Simone Boye Sorensen says she needed a 'new start'
- 6 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 7 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 8 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 9 Flash floods 'three feet high' leave basement flats 'uninhabitable'
- 10 Thunder and lightning could return to London on Monday
“We’ve had some interest for our players but we’re managing to hold onto them at the moment, whether that is the right thing or wrong thing to do, who knows.”
The long-serving manager also fears if another season is made "null and void" it could ruin the football pyramid in this country, which Loizou believes is the reason for the high standard of football across all levels.
“It’s ruining the pyramid, I think this country and the reason why it’s got some of the best football played in the world is because of this pyramid the FA have got.
“I think everything is going to ruin at the moment.”