Haringey Borough 0 Hertford Town 1: Losing run continues for Boro after defeat at home to Blues

Haringey manager Tom Loizou looks on from the touchline (pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo).

Haringey manager Tom Loizou looks on from the touchline (pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo). - Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo

Bostik North: Haringey Borough 0 Hertford Town (Toner 32)

Haringey Borough slipped to a fourth successive loss in the Bostik North after a 1-0 loss at home to Hertford Town.

Boro started the brighter of the two sides at Coles Park, but Town ended the half the stronger a little under a quarter of an hour before the interval.

The second half was a cagey affair with neither team able to control the ball for vast periods and the north Londoners were unable to find an equaliser.

Haringey boss Tom Loizou made three changes for the visit of the Blues, with Dan Aristidou, Harrison Georgiou and Michael Ademiluyi coming into the starting XI.

Boro went close to taking the lead in the 10th minute, but a stinging drive from 25 yards by Aristidou narrowly cleared the bar.

Five minutes later, Georgiou looked to have slipped in Ralson Gabriel to open the scoring for the hosts.

Most Read

However, the Haringey frontman was met by onrushing stopper Charlie Mann, who got a touch on the ball to divert it away from danger, before Town cleared.

Boro were looking lively early on, with Aristidou heading over at the far post in the 19th minute after Ademiluyi delivered a cross from the left.

Despite their early pressure, defender Scott Mitchell had to be at his best to prevent the north Londoners from conceding two minutes later.

Blues forward Tommy Wade reached a long ball over the top before Ashley Harris and was able to nick it over the home stopper.

However, former Dagenham & Redbridge youngster Mitchell recovered to win the ball off Wade, before clearing the danger.

The half chance was one which seemed to encourage Hertford, with Brett O’Connor testing Harris from 18 yards after a neat one-two with Wade four minutes later.

Town were then awarded a penalty in the 31st minute when David Olufemi fouled Charlie Ruff in the box.

Michael Toner took the spot kick for the visitors, but saw his effort saved by Harris.

The Blues midfielder was able to get a rebound in, but his effort was blocked by the defence.

The ball then fell kindly once more for Toner, who was able to net at the third attempt to open the scoring.

In the final minute of the half, a flowing move from Haringey ended with Georgiou firing just wide from a central position around 20 yards out.

That proved to be the last chance of the half for either side as Boro went into the break a goal down.

Looking for a fast start to the second half, the Coles Park club went close to an equaliser in the 47th minute, but Ademiluyi curled his 18 yard effort over the bar.

With 22 minutes left in the match, Harris produced a fine save to deny Ruff and keep Boro just a goal behind.

Harris was called into action two minutes later, showing fine reactions to keep out a deflected effort from Ricky Light.

The Boro stopper was certainly kept busy, saving a Luke Illsley effort following a swift counter in the 75th minute.

From the stop, Haringey broke quickly, and a Ralston Gabriel nearly saw a backheeled- effort trickle into the net, but instead saw his shot hit the post.

Gabriel was involved two minutes later after racing through on goal and rounding Mann, but a heavy touch saw the ball run out of play before he could score.

In stoppage time, Hertford defender Jay Lovell was dismissed after picking up a second bookable offence.

Boro nearly took full advantage of the red card, but Rakim Richards lashed a wild shot over the bar in the third minute of time added on.

Two minutes later, a rasping effort from home substitute Ayrton Coley then whistled past the post on its way wide.

Sadly Haringey were unable to find an equaliser before the end of the match, with the hosts looking to recover at Heybridge Swifts in the league on Tuesday.

Haringey: Harris, Olufemi, O’Donoghue, Hervel (Heather 85), Mitchell, Gordon, Aristidou (C Benjamin 64), Richards, Gabriel, Georgiou, Ademiluyi (J Benjamin 80).

Subs: Fenton, Coley.

Hertford: Mann, Lovell, Foster, Illsley, Beck, Palmer, Light, Toner, Ruff, Wade (Cole 82), O’Connor.

Subs: Thompson, Dent, Andreos.

Sent off: Lovell 90+1 (second bookable offence).

Referee: Dean Skipper.

Attendance: 147