Hockey: Hampstead men into final, women keep hopes alive
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead & Westminster’s men booked their place in the Premier Division final with a 2-1 win over Beeston at Lee Valley Hockey & Tennis Centre on Saturday.
And the club, which is celebrating its 125th anniversary this season, saw the women’s team keep their promotion hopes alive with victory over Loughborough Students in the second of three play-off matches.
Having seen defending champions Surbiton beat East Grinstead 2-1 in the first semi-final, Hampstead’s men took the lead in their tie when Rupert Shipperley finished off a well-worked move in the second half.
Their joy was shortlived as Beeston hit back a minute later through Joe Sharp, but Hampstead secured their progress thanks to a wonderful strike from GB international Will Calnan.
The women had lost 2-1 to Slough in their first play-off match in Nottingham a week earlier and the scoreline remained blank in the first half of their meeting with Loughborough.
You may also want to watch:
Defences dominated as both sides fought for three vital points, but Hampstead claimed the all-important goal three minutes from time through Lucy Hyams from a penalty corner.
Slough top the table with a maximum six points, while Hampstead and Loughborough have three each and Stourport are yet to pick up a point.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 5 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 6 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 7 Arteta: Arsenal have to win these games or face consequence
- 8 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 9 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 10 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
Hampstead face Stourport on Sunday.