Hampstead & Westminster player-coach Kwan Browne gives Loughborough Students a lesson
- Credit: Archant
New player-coach Kwan Browne struck twice as Hampstead & Westminster cruised to a 4-1 home win over newcomers Loughborough Students at the Paddington Recreation Ground on Sunday and moved up to third place in the men’s Premier Division.
Browne scored the opening two goals for his side, finishing coolly after a run from the 25-yard line and then converting a penalty stroke when Stuart Loughrey’s close-range effort hit a defender’s body on the line.
New signing Sam French opened his account for the club on the stroke of half-time, pouncing on the rebound when Will Calnan’s effort was saved – and Mikie Watt then beat two defenders before lobbing the keeper from a narrow angle shortly after the interval, before Loughborough scored a consolation goal.
Meanwhile, Hampstead Ladies also secured a home win at the weekend, banking their first victory of the season at the third attempt after beating St Albans 2-1.
Jasmine Clark and new recruit Michelle Borren both struck inside the opening 25 minutes to give H&W a healthy lead.
You may also want to watch:
St Albans halved the deficit just before the break – having already failed to convert a penalty stroke – but there were no further goals and Hampstead secured all three points, leaving them sixth in the Conference East table.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 3 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 4 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
- 5 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 6 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 7 'The council thought asking your view is unnecessary'
- 8 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 9 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 10 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83