Hampstead & Westminster pegged back in Canterbury

PUBLISHED: 06:30 03 March 2017

Hampstead & Westminster's Matt Giles-Brown. Picture: MARK CLEWS

Hampstead & Westminster's Matt Giles-Brown. Picture: MARK CLEWS


Hampstead & Westminster Hockey Club’s men saw a two-goal lead pegged back as they were held to a 2-2 draw at Canterbury.

Hampstead & Westminster Hockey Club's Amy Askew. Picture: MARK CLEWSHampstead & Westminster Hockey Club's Amy Askew. Picture: MARK CLEWS

Under the floodlights at the Kent club, goals from Matt Giles-Brown and Marc Edwards put Hampstead ahead after 25 minutes.

But a goal just before the break started the comeback and a goal right at the death stole the victory away.

The draw keeps Hampstead in fourth, the final play-off spot, two points clear of Beeston with five games to go.

Neither side were able to sustain long periods with the ball, creating an end-to-end game.

Hampstead eventually found their feet and after a magnificent corner spin routine from Kwan Browne, Giles-Brown rocketed one into the right apex of the goal.

Shortly after Edwards finished off a fine team move, sticking home a rebound from Richard Alexander to score his second goal in two weeks.

Canterbury’s first was scrappy but it gave the hosts a way back into the game.

The second half started much like the first with both teams failing to capitalise on any opportunities but tired legs on both sides opened the pitch up more.

Hampstead had some good possession deep in the Canterbury circle but the goalkeeper was in inspired form, denying all attempts.

And after Canterbury turned up the pressure late on, they got their reward from a corner with another scrappy goal.

HWHC play East Grinstead on Sunday in a must-win game in their ongoing campaign to make and win the play-offs.

The club’s ladies travelled to West Herts and picked up another three points in the Investec East Conference.

West Herts started off strongly but after slowly waking up Hampstead took the lead from a penalty corner just before half-time, Amy Askew getting the final touch.

Hampstead started the second half much better and Askew grabbed her second on 45 minutes.

They couldn’t score again, despite sustained pressure and a late goal by West Herts made for a nervy finish.

The win puts them into fourth and closes the gap on the trio ahead of them.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hampstead Highgate Express