Hampstead & Westminster enjoy a doubly successful weekend as senior sides bounce back in style
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead & Westminster’s senior sides both bounced back from defeats to secure commanding home wins in their respective league clashes at the weekend.
The men’s team beat Reading 4-1 in the Premier Division on Saturday, with Rupert Shipperley breaking the deadlock and Matt Guise-Brown netting from two penalty corners in quick succession before Chris Cargo made it 4-0.
Reading grabbed a late consolation goal but Hampstead’s first win in four league games took them up to fifth place in the table.
Meanwhile, H&W’s ladies beat West Hants 3-0 in the Conference East on Sunday thanks to goals from captain Annebeth Wijtenburg, Helen Cathcart and Cressida Grant.
With leaders Sevenoaks suffering their first defeat of the season, fourth-placed Hampstead are now just five points off the top.
Elsewhere, Benji Knights Johnson struck all four goals as West Hampstead triumphed 4-1 against Purley Walcountians and leapt up to fourth place in Southern Premier Division Two.
- 1 'Unimaginable loss': Father and daughter stabbed to death in north London
- 2 Covid-19: Omicron variant case confirmed in Camden
- 3 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 4 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 5 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 6 Stunning light trail wraps up Kenwood like a giant Christmas present
- 7 Tottenham boss Antonio Conte looking to revamp squad in transfer windows
- 8 Movement off the ball key to Arsenal's win against Newcastle
- 9 PLU: St John's Wood restaurant finds the right formula
- 10 Not just for Christmas: Rescue dogs looking for forever homes