Hampstead & Westminster battle back twice to hold reigning champions Wimbledon
- Credit: Archant
Captain Toby Roche scored a late equaliser as Hampstead & Westminster’s men twice came from behind to secure a 2-2 draw against reigning champions Wimbledon.
The visitors took a 27th-minute lead through Phil Ball at Paddington Recreation Ground after Hampstead lost possession in midfield, but Richard Alexander responded on the stroke of half-time, showing great persistence in the D and firing home from five yards.
The second half was a very even affair with chances at both ends. Wimbledon broke the deadlock via a penalty corner deflection in the 54th minute.
However, Hampstead showed great resolve and were rewarded with just two minutes left as Roche converted from close range following good work by Matt Botha.
Meanwhile, H&W’s ladies fell to a third straight league defeat against their Wimbledon counterparts.
You may also want to watch:
They found themselves 2-1 ahead following strikes from Emma Stocking and Fleur Horner. But the hosts fought back admirably, with Lauren Seaman and Harriet Naismith striking late on to secure a 3-2 win.
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 4 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 5 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 10 Crouch End drugs raid sees 'cannabis plants and equipment seized'