Hampstead skipper Max wants to see Raw effort from the very start
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead start the new season looking to build on last year’s third-place finish in London Division Two North-West by pushing for promotion.
The Parliament Hill Fields outfit have a new captain in Max Rawlinson, while Dave Christie has replaced long-time coach Ali Halsall, bringing fresh ideas to the back line and bolstering the pack with some new faces.
A strong pre-season means Hampstead go into their first game against Chiswick full of confidence – but Rawlinson is predicting a tough contest.
“Chiswick away is one of the hardest fixtures in our season,” Rawlinson said. “If we start well then we’ve got a great chance. The first 10 minutes are vital.”
Hampstead chairman Simon Taylor added: “For the last five seasons we have had a strong standing, with the first XV always being in the top four of their league.
You may also want to watch:
“In the same period the lower sides have all tasted either merit table wins, promotion or have contested cup finals, and the ladies have risen up the leagues on a regular basis.
“Now, with a junior section rapidly growing and soon to encompass pre-school rugby, there is a collective will to take the next step.
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 5 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 6 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 9 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 10 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
“We have had a lot of newcomers and feel it is right to be ambitious and target promotion for a number of sides – especially our men’s and ladies’ first XVs.”