Hampstead skipper Max wants to see Raw effort from the very start
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead start the new season looking to build on last year’s third-place finish in London Division Two North-West by pushing for promotion.
The Parliament Hill Fields outfit have a new captain in Max Rawlinson, while Dave Christie has replaced long-time coach Ali Halsall, bringing fresh ideas to the back line and bolstering the pack with some new faces.
A strong pre-season means Hampstead go into their first game against Chiswick full of confidence – but Rawlinson is predicting a tough contest.
“Chiswick away is one of the hardest fixtures in our season,” Rawlinson said. “If we start well then we’ve got a great chance. The first 10 minutes are vital.”
Hampstead chairman Simon Taylor added: “For the last five seasons we have had a strong standing, with the first XV always being in the top four of their league.
You may also want to watch:
“In the same period the lower sides have all tasted either merit table wins, promotion or have contested cup finals, and the ladies have risen up the leagues on a regular basis.
“Now, with a junior section rapidly growing and soon to encompass pre-school rugby, there is a collective will to take the next step.
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 2 Arsenal 'showing maturity' says David Luiz
- 3 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 Homeschooling in lockdown: Top tips for a north London parent
- 5 Arsenal boss Arteta worried about player burnout
- 6 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 7 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 8 Ozil travels to Turkey as Arsenal exit looms
- 9 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 10 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
“We have had a lot of newcomers and feel it is right to be ambitious and target promotion for a number of sides – especially our men’s and ladies’ first XVs.”