Hampstead show their Steele to secure a draw against Teddington
- Credit: Max Flego
Tailenders Ollie Steele and Rob Jones shared a century partnership as Hampstead dug in to avoid defeat against second-placed Teddington in the Premier Division of the Middlesex County League.
Set a target of 284, the Lymington Road outfit were in trouble at 123-7. But Steele (46) and Jones (59 not out) put on 100 together and, although there was a nervy finish as Alasdair Pollock (4-48) took two quick wickets, Hampstead’s final pair secured a draw.
While the reigning champions only picked up one point and remain eighth in the table, they are nine points clear of the drop zone after the team immediately below them, Shepherd’s Bush, lost to basement boys Eastcote.
Hampstead captain Steve Clark asked Teddington to bat and removed opener James Wade for a duck en route to figures of 5-60.
However, Tom Twiney struck 94 off 116 balls and Will Rist notched an unbeaten 50 as the visitors declared on 283-9 after 59 overs.
You may also want to watch:
Hampstead’s hopes of challenging that total were badly undermined when they lost George Adair (21), Sam Evison (3) and Henry Collier (0) with the score on 25 – and, although Ragheb Aga hit 51 off 66 balls, his dismissal left the hosts 123-7.
Steele and Jones then shared a crucial century pairing, but there was late drama as Pollock removed Steele and Zain Rizvi (0), who only faced two balls.
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 3 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 4 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 5 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 6 Arsenal signing Simone Boye Sorensen says she needed a 'new start'
- 7 Letters: The floods!
- 8 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 9 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 10 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
Fortunately, last man Will Roberts (0no) only had to defend one delivery before the allotted 62 overs expired.