Hampstead secure Premier Division status with a game to spare
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead secured their survival in the Premier Division of the Middlesex County League with a game to spare after beating relegation rivals Twickenham on Saturday.
The reigning champions have been flirting with danger at the wrong end of the table but their 94-run victory at Lymington Road took them 16 points clear of the danger zone ahead of this weekend’s finale.
Liam Hughes hit an unbeaten 107 off 92 balls, while Henry Collier struck 73 off 87 deliveries – and Ollie Steele smashed 50 off 25 balls as the hosts posted 316-5 from their 50 overs.
Chris Beaumont-Dark (3-25) was then the pick of the bowlers as Twickenham were bowled out for 222 in 41.2 overs.
Hampstead chairman Nick Brown said: “Relieved and disappointed is how we are feeling now. Naturally we’re relieved that we have guaranteed Premier League cricket for 2017, and in some style, but also disappointed as we started the season with genuine optimism about being in the mix for the title.
You may also want to watch:
“Other results could have kept us up anyway, but with Liam Hughes getting married this Saturday, we were going to be very thin on availability against Ealing, so a win against Twickenham was vital - and of course Liam signed off with a hundred, which was perfect.”
In Division Three, North London still have promotion aspirations ahead of the final weekend, lying eight points outside the top two after beating Uxbridge. They host Harrow Town on Saturday.
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 3 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 4 Arsenal held by Aston Villa on final day of WSL season
- 5 Belsize cameraman remembers Jim Henson and The Muppet Show
- 6 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 7 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 8 Graham goal gives Tottenham win at Birmingham in WSL finale
- 9 St John's Wood High Street traders' fears after Harry's closure
- 10 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'