Hampstead score six tries to overcome basement boys Hemel Hempstead
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead moved into the top half of the table in London North-West Division Two after running in six tries in a 43-10 victory away against bottom club Hemel Hempstead.
Playing into a strong wind in the first half, Hampstead head coach Peter Breen instructed his side to keep the ball in hand and they complied, putting on a masterclass in difficult conditions.
Hampstead’s first try came after just 30 seconds, with captain Andy McEwen making strong yards up the middle before a slick backs moves and a kick through from Jamie Evans, which put Pete Wood over in the corner.
Two more tries followed, both scored and converted by man of the match Dan Dimoline – one a solo effort from the halfway line – but Hemel struck back with a converted try and penalty to close the gap to 19-10 at half-time.
With the wind at their backs, Hampstead changed tack in the second half and kicked for territory. It worked well, and Wood scored his second try while Max Moncrieff and Freddie Jackson also dotted down, with Dimoline converting one and adding a penalty.
You may also want to watch:
Breen said: “We played really well in the conditions. The pack put a great shift in and the backs finished things off nicely. We’re now getting some consistency in selection and some of our key players are returning from injury.
“Our next goal has to be to start beating the top teams. We need to play for 80 minutes and trust our skills. Saturday’s game against HAC is a good place to start.”
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 4 Mikel Arteta turns focus to new signings after Arsenal let fringe players leave
- 5 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 6 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 7 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 8 Hampstead Heath guru Diane is 'a lifeline' for women's walking group
- 9 Arsenal agree to terminate contract of defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos
- 10 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre