Hockey: Hampstead & Westminster’s Robertson in GB women’s squad
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead & Westminster’s Sarah Robertson has been named in an 18-strong Great Britain women’s squad for the FIH Champions Trophy in China later this month.
Scottish international Robertson is part of a squad that has a mix of youth and experience, with six players having over 100 international caps to their name.
Amy Tennant, Erica Sanders, Sarah Jones and Tess Howard are all in line to make their senior debuts as GB take on Argentina, Australia, China, Japan and the Netherlands at a tournament that brings together the reigning World Cup, World League, Olympic, Champions Trophy, Asian and Oceania champions.
Alex Danson misses out through injury, with Hollie Pearne-Webb captaining the side in her absence, and David Ralph will lead the squad while the recruitment process for a new head coach continues.
He said: “We are really excited to be competing in the FIH Champions Trophy, it is always a tough and enjoyable tournament with the format giving us the opportunity to play against some excellent opposition.
You may also want to watch:
“This is our first tournament outing as Great Britain in two years, and it provides us with an excellent opportunity to demonstrate our abilities and continue our growth towards competing in the FIH Pro League in 2019.
“We would like to congratulate Amy, Sarah, Tess and Erica who will all be winning their first Great Britain caps in Changzhou. The Champions Trophy presents a great opportunity for all of them to showcase their talents, and is a justified reward for their development and performances.”
- 1 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 2 ‘I was livid': Outrage as Camden homeless man sprayed with hose
- 3 Mayor of Camden joins West Hampstead Primary School renaming fair
- 4 New Jewish Fringe festival comes to Golders Green
- 5 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 6 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 7 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 8 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 9 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 10 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
The FIH Champions Trophy marks the beginning of an important phase of international hockey, with the FIH Pro League beginning in January 2019 and Olympic qualification also to be decided within the next 12 months.
GB begin against hosts China on November 17, then face Australia the following day and Japan (November 20), Netherlands (Nov 22) and Argentina (November 24).
Squad: Giselle Ansley, Grace Balsdon, Sophie Bray, Amy Costello, Sarah Evans, Sabbie Heesh, Tess Howards, Sarah Jones, Hannah Martin, Lily Owsley, Hollie Pearne-Webb, Suzy Petty, Sarah Robertson, Erica Sanders, Amy Tennant, Anna Toman, Susannah Townsend, Laura Unsworth.