Moncrieff hopes Hampstead use recent near-misses as motivation in title challenge
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
In an article from our ‘Engage’ supplement, Hampstead skipper Max Moncrieff previews the new London Two North West season
Hampstead captain Max Moncrieff says the team are going all out to win the London Two North West title this season, writes Ned Keating.
The Wildwood Road club finished second in the standings last season, but lost 37-7 to Sudbury in the play-off final to miss out on promotion to London One North.
Moncrieff, though, says Hampstead will be looking to use that heartbreak as motivation this term as the Wildwood Road side seek to win promotion without having to rely on a play-off.
“The Hampstead team this season are aiming to go one better than last year and win the league,” said Moncrieff.
You may also want to watch:
“After a couple of close calls in recent years, we’ve got a consistent squad wanting to really push for it.”
Hampstead will face plenty of rivals looking to challenge them for the title this term, not least Harpenden who they pipped to a play-off place last term.
- 1 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 2 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 3 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 4 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 5 Mikel Arteta 'excited' by Arsenal's appointment of Richard Garlick
- 6 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 9 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 10 Housing: Billionaire owner of 'squalid shoeboxes' must 'up its game'
If the Wildwood Road club are to be successful this term, a lot of the foundations will have been laid during pre-season.
But Moncrieff is confident Hampstead’s work over the summer will prove to be worth it, and that the quality of the squad has improved with the addition of some new recruits.
“We’ve had a strong pre-season with several new players joining who will strengthen the team for this campaign,” he added.
As well as looking to be successful on the pitch this term, Hampstead are also hoping to enjoy a thriving social scene this season.
The club are hoping to entice members old and new to their Wildwood Road base throughout the campaign.
And Moncrieff revealed Hampstead are starting early with their social events taking place this campaign.
“Our first home game of the season is September 22nd and the club will be putting on a bit of an event to mark it,” he said.
“Some drinks will be provided and we would love people to come along to the Hampstead Heath Extension and celebrate with us”.
Hampstead will hope the first event of the new season can draw a good crowd to cheer the first team on to a win in their first home game of the new league season.
And any success early on in the first part of the new campaign is sure to help attract new members to the club, which will help over the course of the season.