Hockey: Hampstead & Westminster men end on high
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead & Westminster’s men ended their Premier Division campaign with a 2-1 win at Brooklands in Manchester.
With the runners-up spot and a place at the League Finals weekend already secure, Hampstead still wanted to end their best-ever season on a high.
And after holding the edge in the opening stages, they took the lead on nine minutes as Kei Kaeppeler’s shot was deflected in by a defender.
The visitors continued to create plenty of chances, without adding to their tally, and a quick counter saw the hosts level on 44 minutes.
Hampstead dominated possession for the rest of the match and regained the lead with 10 minutes left through Will Calnan’s fantastic strike.
You may also want to watch:
And it proved decisive as they held on for the points ahead of their April 13 clash with Beeston at Lee Valley.
A presentation was made to Toby Roche by club historian Ian Smith as the longest serving captain (seven years) since World War Two.
- 1 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 2 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 3 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 4 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 5 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 6 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 7 'Heart of the community': Muswell Hill Library celebrates 90 years
- 8 Wine, cheese and caviar: New bar to open in South End Green
- 9 Top producer gives hit making masterclass
- 10 Prince William brings environmental Earthshot Prize ceremony to Ally Pally