Hockey: Hampstead & Westminster men end on high
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead & Westminster’s men ended their Premier Division campaign with a 2-1 win at Brooklands in Manchester.
With the runners-up spot and a place at the League Finals weekend already secure, Hampstead still wanted to end their best-ever season on a high.
And after holding the edge in the opening stages, they took the lead on nine minutes as Kei Kaeppeler’s shot was deflected in by a defender.
The visitors continued to create plenty of chances, without adding to their tally, and a quick counter saw the hosts level on 44 minutes.
Hampstead dominated possession for the rest of the match and regained the lead with 10 minutes left through Will Calnan’s fantastic strike.
You may also want to watch:
And it proved decisive as they held on for the points ahead of their April 13 clash with Beeston at Lee Valley.
A presentation was made to Toby Roche by club historian Ian Smith as the longest serving captain (seven years) since World War Two.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 4 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 5 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 6 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 7 Arsenal agree to terminate contract of defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos
- 8 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 9 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 10 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown